C4 Forums | Control4

Current Phillips Hue support question

jfh

I currently have a Hue Bridge v2 and Gen 1 and or Gen 2 lights.

Been having a problem in the last couple months where something happens with a light (don’t know which one) that renders the bridge and all devices on the same network switch unreachable.  The only way to fix it is to physically turn off the switch to the fixture with a bulb that’s on and turn it back on which wakes every device on the switch again.  The internet says this may be related to a bulb going bad but I have no idea how to figure out which one.

I would like to drop use of the bridge and control the latest generation (3? 4?) of lights directly from Control4.  Can this be done?  (Apparently you can control 10 lights without a bridge; I have 9).

Is there another/better option for Control4 controllable lights these days?

You can’t control Hue directly without a bridge via C4 or anything else. The “8 bulb limit” is for Bluetooth control from your phone, which is mostly useless. 

I don’t think there is a better/cheaper option than Phillips hue. I think your best bet is to figure out which bulb is bad.

Heh, better for bulbs is though, cheaper is another matter.

But yes it sounds like one of the bulbs is flooding the zigbee network, and yes the only way to truly figure it out is to remove a bulb and wait to see if it happens again in the usual time span....

At least to the best of my knowledge the hue app doesn't allow any real info about stats - though it's possible Hue support may be able to do more (it's basically facebook/twitter to get in touch though)

5 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

But yes it sounds like one of the bulbs is flooding the zigbee network, and yes the only way to truly figure it out is to remove a bulb and wait to see if it happens again in the usual time span....

Can I do anything to prevent the Hub from disabling every other device on the switch when the Hub goes nuts?  Phillips suggests not using a switch but I don’t want it disabling the other router ports.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if you have an issue with your bridge.

As for all of the lamps coming on after power-cycling, you need set the “power on behavior “ for each lamp to stop this.

You can connect hue lamps to 3rd party zigbee gateways (idk about C4 integration with that) but you lose all of the Hue scenes/features, unless you also connect to them via bluetooth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, I moved my Hue bridge into another room (it was right next to the wireless router) and have new generation bulbs in the bedroom fixtures (I think one of the original 6 bulbs had gone bad).  If I still see problems I’ll get a new bridge.  Mine is a few years old but it’s a v2 and it doesn’t seem like there is a newer bridge.

PS - Philips doesn't suggest using a switch because it's best not to constantly cut power to the bulbs: technically you should ALWAYS have a switch in place however - it's likely code in most places to be able to cut power to any fixture..... just don't constantly USE that switch. But having one in place for a quick reset in your scenario certainly wouldnt hurt.

8 hours ago, Cyknight said:

PS - Philips doesn't suggest using a switch because it's best not to constantly cut power to the bulbs: technically you should ALWAYS have a switch in place however - it's likely code in most places to be able to cut power to any fixture..... just don't constantly USE that switch. But having one in place for a quick reset in your scenario certainly wouldnt hurt.

I had wondered about that.

All my power is normally on.. The Hue bulbs are all in fixtures that don’t have programmable power or dimming control.  I may do that because it would be nice to reset everything programmaticly in the future but probably not for a while.

I have not had really any issue with hue and c4 controlling both. all of my switches are some type of c4 dimmer so i tend to keep them on at 100% at unless i am not home. when away they are set to off and no hue lighting control is needed in that away state and it has worked well for me. Recently however i have one bulb in a fixture that has 3 and it will turn on again on its own to 100%. Haven't fully trouble shot it yet but it seems to be the bulb as it will turn on and even the hue app will take few moments to update that its back on. C4 also does not seen anything until the light reports in that its on and the c4 app changes to update. Need to swap it with another bulb and hope that will correct it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.