C4 Forums | Control4

HC-500 no longer avail?

stevemcd

Just like everything in tech, it's just being replaced by things that are faster, better, less expensive, etc.

The recent price drop on the HC-1000 foreshadowed the EOL for the HC-500.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the 500, it will continue to be supported it's just no longer being sold by Control4. Actually, I think there are still some units available for sale they just will not be making that model anymore. Kind of like cars, when they are replaced by a new model. There's nothing wrong with the "older" model, but progress dictates change.

The 500 was replaced by the cheaper HC-1000v3 and the new I/O extender. When used together' date=' you get 99% of the features of the 500 but much faster speed.[/quote']

Navigator is only 1% or less of what the HC500 does huh?

We used the 500 in the past to be director, with 300s as slaves running navigator. Also the 500 had a digital coax out.

Depends on what you're using it for.

Thanks for the comments.

I just hope that the new updates will continue to support the HC500 also. I paid alot for it and really do not want to replace it after only 1 yr old.

Steve

As long as the 300 is continued to be supported, I don't know why the 500 wouldn't. They use the same main chipset, just more hookups, a hard drive, and digital coax on the 500.

Thanks for the comments.

I just hope that the new updates will continue to support the HC500 also. I paid alot for it and really do not want to replace it after only 1 yr old.

Steve

As long as the 300 is continued to be supported' date=' I don't know why the 500 wouldn't. They use the same main chipset, just more hookups, a hard drive, and digital coax on the 500.[/quote']

Thanks. I think the dealer steered me to the 500 due to the Hard-drive for storage. In the long run I wish I had bought a external NAS instead... However, 1 year ago, they were more $$ and did not exist so much for the home consumer...

I do not use the Coax...

Thanks for the comments.

Steve

As long as the 300 is continued to be supported' date=' I don't know why the 500 wouldn't. They use the same main chipset, just more hookups, a hard drive, and digital coax on the 500.[/quote']

Thanks. I think the dealer steered me to the 500 due to the Hard-drive for storage. In the long run I wish I had bought a external NAS instead... However, 1 year ago, they were more $$ and did not exist so much for the home consumer...

I do not use the Coax...

We dont install "consumer" nas equipment so much, really. People really want a solid system, so we try to stick with enterprise gear whenever possible. Yeah, some people would faint at dropping $2000 for a box that has no hard drives in it, and spend another $1200 for drives..

But in the end, it's a good place to backup all your personal computers to a share on it as well. That way if one of your PCs die, you have all your stuff on the NAS which is a little more fault-tolerant. And it's pretty hard to put a price on all those family pictures... so you try to kill a few birds with one stone.

• 2 weeks later...
Picasa online now has 20gb of storage for $5 per year, $5 more for each additional 20gb.... a no brainer for online backup storage of all of those family photos if you ask me.

That's a sweet deal...I'll throw my pictures up there in addition to the NAS.

Picasa online now has 20gb of storage for $5 per year, $5 more for each additional 20gb.... a no brainer for online backup storage of all of those family photos if you ask me.

Yeah, the NAS won't protect against a fire, robbery, meteor strike, etc. We're shopping some services that allow you to send a drive in for the initial full backup, and then do the incrementals over the wire...as uploading 20GB over 1megabit upload speeds will take some time...

Picasa online now has 20gb of storage for $5 per year' date=' $5 more for each additional 20gb.... a no brainer for online backup storage of all of those family photos if you ask me.[/quote']

Yeah, the NAS won't protect against a fire, robbery, meteor strike, etc. We're shopping some services that allow you to send a drive in for the initial full backup, and then do the incrementals over the wire...as uploading 20GB over 1megabit upload speeds will take some time...

I'll let that sucker run all weekend if I need to, plus you can do it in smaller chunks.

• 1 month later...
When exactly did HC500 reach End Of Live (EOL)? Was there an Control4 official anouncement or hint at least?

I don't think it is accurate to say the HC-500 is EOL. It is still a very usable device. It will run a project just fine and just as well as an HC-300. The HC-500 has the same processor and memory as an HC-300. The only thing the HC-500 has that the HC-300 does not have is a hard drive, more relays, more contacts, an additional analog audio output and a digital audio output.

I think it would be fair to say the HC-500 was End Of Sale (EOS). In my opinoin the HC-500 and the HC-300 have the same useful lifespan.

C4 did announce that the HC-500 would no longer be sold. I don't recall the exact date but it was right around the time the HC-1000 v3 was announced.

The 500 was replaced by the cheaper HC-1000v3 and the new I/O extender. When used together, you get 99% of the features of the 500 but much faster speed.

thecodeman,

What is the features difference between the HC-500 and the HC-1000v3 alone?

Are you saying that you'd need to add a I/O extender to the HC-1000v3 to get the same HC-500 functionality?

What is included in the remaining 1% of the features? Anything crucial?

The 500 was replaced by the cheaper HC-1000v3 and the new I/O extender. When used together' date=' you get 99% of the features of the 500 but much faster speed.[/quote']

thecodeman,

What is the features difference between the HC-500 and the HC-1000v3 alone?

Are you saying that you'd need to add a I/O extender to the HC-1000v3 to get the same HC-500 functionality?

What is included in the remaining 1% of the features? Anything crucial?

The 1000 does not have navigator functions, so you'll still have a slave controller running this (300, 200, or the 500 if you have one already and the older HTC/MC can be slaves as well).

The 1000 does not have any I/O connectivity, so that's why you'd need the I/O extender for contacts, relays, and IR functions. Since you have to have a slave controller running navigator, you get audio outputs there too. Depending on the controller you will get some I/O connectivity but maybe not as much as the 500 had.

The only thing the 1000/slave controller or I/O extender did not have that the 500 did was Digtial Coax output for audio - there are no controllers now with this. The pre-production model Control4 showed did have digital coax and stereo audio, but for some reason this was not included on shipping versions.

Actually, there are *no* audio outputs on the I/O extender, so you may need (if you don't have other controllers in the project) to add a 300 for Audio outputs.

RyanE

I meant to make that clear in the post above yours but I guess not. Thanks for clarifying. :)

Archived