C4 Forums | Control4

Best options for shades with 2 way communication with Control4?

jfh

Looking for motorized shade drivers that provide control and blind position status.

I have Rollease motors and the C4 driver which works great but can’t get some dead motors replaced so looking at new shades.  Probably can’t afford Lutron.  Looked at Somfy and Bond Bridge but that appears to be one way only.

On 1/23/2023 at 11:03 AM, jfh said:

Looking for motorized shade drivers that provide control and blind position status.

I have Rollease motors and the C4 driver which works great but can’t get some dead motors replaced so looking at new shades.  Probably can’t afford Lutron.  Looked at Somfy and Bond Bridge but that appears to be one way only.

In old house, I was very satisfied with my Balis, which are zwave and absurdly inexpensive.  two-way with status from 1% to 100%. They were run by a Vera, for which there were C4 drivers (free or cheap, i forget).  What I don't know is whether there is a similar C4 integration for a more current zwave controller.

Maybe a third of the Lutron cost?  Shortly, others are likely to jump on to tell you that 1) the motors are louder than Lutron and 2) they are not synchronized like the Lutron is.    Both of those things are true (have Lutron in new house).  But 1) is sort of silly because you're not exactly putting blinds up and down all day long - twice or so a day, really. For 2) I suppose it's how much you value a cool but fleeting visual impression.  I honestly never look at the things anymore.

Well, I had a pretty good warranty on my current motors that died.  Only reason I’m looking now is I can’t get warranty service because the original dealer died from Covid and the business is radically different now run by family as a side job.  At this point I would just prefer to get the motors replaced but I can’t do it myself and finding someone to do it is a whole lot harder than just buying new 

Somfy works using their MyLink and the 3rd party driver https://drivercentral.io/platforms/control4-drivers/blinds-shades/somfy-generic-rts-and-dct-driver/ you can mimic 2 way communication just fine

I got great support for the somfy motors + fabric samples + cad drawings etc from https://www.avoutlet.com/

I use bond bridge to control my fireplace and I had to try 3-4 locations around my house to get it to work every time.  MyLink was slightly wonky when i got it 3 years ago, their support at somfy was great, 1-2 releases later and its been stable with 100% uptime now for 2+ years.  The issue was with how it was connecting with my Unifi APs but they made some firmware changes and updates fixed it.  I monitor that device (MyLink) on fing and its had 100% uptime in 2+ years.  

Very happy and adding another motorized somfy blind in the coming weeks after having these 5 for 3 years.

On 1/23/2023 at 2:03 PM, jfh said:

I have access to wireless Rollease motors if that is helpful…

FWIW, an alternative option is separately adding a sensor (or two) to communicate position. There are micro reed switches that can easily be completely hidden in a rail and plenty of devices to read them, if interested/inclined to DIY a little. Certainly not the lux option, but does get you to the same place with much more flexibility and OoM lower-cost options on motors/components. Tried it myself on some heavy, custom RH drapes I wasn't looking to replace or majorly disturb and it worked great.

3 minutes ago, cvj said:

Powershades are also nice.  I have a few in my house, that I put in after my Lutron QEDs finally died, and so far, I have had no issues.  They are not as quiet as the QED's were, but not a big deal for me or my wife.  Install was soooo easy over POE.

Yep, I have talked to him about Powershades as a potential option.

On 1/24/2023 at 7:20 PM, jfh said:

Ok.  Respect you all, thanks.  Going to look at Lutron.  Hope there’s more fabric choices then when we looked a few years ago.

I have custom fabric on Lutron, so that isn't really a limiter.  I don't think the motor drove that cost, but the fabric was kind of pricey.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.