C4 Forums | Control4

Luma 120/220 NVR with luma X10 cameras

pkkaiser

Any benefit to upgrading the NVR with older cameras. Plan to upgrade some to the new X20 for the AI features but we have 13 so it will not be all... What has everyone had for experiences with the new app and C4 connectivity (plus or minus)

Thanks Hive!

PK

the x20 line was released for ordering this month....there aren't going to be a lot of installs done just yet and real world experience will be very limited.

Demos look well above what I expected from Luma, indeed we're geared up to do our showroom and likely inserting them into some installs, but it's a bit early day.

7 hours ago, Cyknight said:

the x20 line was released for ordering this month....there aren't going to be a lot of installs done just yet and real world experience will be very limited.

Demos look well above what I expected from Luma, indeed we're geared up to do our showroom and likely inserting them into some installs, but it's a bit early day.

Does anyone know who is manufacturer? 

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

Being NDAA it can't be hikvision. I don't know but indeed expect it's a merger with the Clare stuff, which indeed would be Uniview. Prob. not so much rebranded from Clare in this case, but an oem from uniview.

Uniview is Chinese manufacturer too. If NDAA can’t be that right?

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

Being NDAA it can't be hikvision. I don't know but indeed expect it's a merger with the Clare stuff, which indeed would be Uniview. Prob. not so much rebranded from Clare in this case, but an oem from uniview.

Yeah since the Clare stuff still exists you’re probably right. I have done dozens of 8MP Clare cams w/ their new app as an alternative to Ring. The picture is quite good for the price but the turret installation design is absolute trash. The color at night is eh IMO.  Snap acquired Clare at the end of last year for those unaware. 

1 hour ago, Control4Savant said:

Yeah since the Clare stuff still exists you’re probably right. I have done dozens of 8MP Clare cams w/ their new app as an alternative to Ring. The picture is quite good for the price but the turret installation design is absolute trash. The color at night is eh IMO.  Snap acquired Clare at the end of last year for those unaware. 

Regarding those color at night. You need the spot lights turned on these cameras for them to work at night. no option for b/w at night. I installed them inside a home and learned the hard way. 

27 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Being a Chinese manufacturer in and of itself doesn't exclude a company - it's the level of ties to the Chinese government.

Can’t imagine there are robust Chinese walls (no pun intended) in place. I’ll consider when they use US manufacturer but I understand there are prob none at this point  

4 hours ago, Cyknight said:

1 minute ago, penn65000 said:

I’ll consider when they use US manufacturer but I understand there are prob none at this point  

Manufactured anywhere but China isn't going to happen right now. There are US and European BRANDS but the vast majority of those cameras are still made by Hikvision and Dahua to begin with - none actually manufacture THEMSELVES.

and ndaa isn't just about government ownership either: it also includes what is used for chips, boards etc and whether there is any possible risk of backdoor remote log in.

If your intend is to only have cameras if they are not manufactured by a chinese manufacturer ... then you won't have cameras.

Don't think Ring, Vivotek, even Axis and Bosch and Honeywell use anything else.

If you trust Honewell as a US brand, you may as well trust SnapOne as a US brand.

12 minutes ago, Ryanjackson said:

Pretty sure axis is manufacutred in sweden? 

Sure....in that they assemble the parts.

To be clear: I don't mean the cameras physically, but the guts themselves. I do know there are some smaller brands that are 'pure' manufactured in the US or other 'western' countries, but they wouldn't likely be able to meet the demands, or they'd be so expensive that their primary client is the 1% and government, plus the biggest companies.

2 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Sure....in that they assemble the parts.

To be clear: I don't mean the cameras physically, but the guts themselves. I do know there are some smaller brands that are 'pure' manufactured in the US or other 'western' countries, but they wouldn't likely be able to meet the demands, or they'd be so expensive that their primary client is the 1% and government, plus the biggest companies.

There a several companies moving or have moved to Korea, Taiwan and Vietnam manufacturing, not just assembly.

In regards to Axis (who owns your 2N (DS2) doorbells btw…)  from what I understand they do have some China manufacturing associated because they also sell into Chinese markets. Thats not the case globally. Axis is a major contributor to why China subsidized their industry and grew like they did. 

19 hours ago, Control4Savant said:

There a several companies moving or have moved to Korea, Taiwan and Vietnam manufacturing, not just assembly

And that is a careful positive step.

To be clear: I'm NOT a proponent of everything being made in China (quite the opposite).

19 hours ago, Control4Savant said:

In regards to Axis ...

Maybe, I'll not claim to know all the ins and outs for every company - nor do I care to. So if I mentioned in error, my apologies to Axis. The overall point largely remains: as it stands, if the US decided to make 'being a Chinese manufacturer' as a hard NDAA NO, there'd be no cameras at their own facilities.

21 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

And that is a careful positive step.

To be clear: I'm NOT a proponent of everything being made in China (quite the opposite).

Maybe, I'll not claim to know all the ins and outs for every company - nor do I care to. So if I mentioned in error, my apologies to Axis. The overall point largely remains: as it stands, if the US decided to make 'being a Chinese manufacturer' as a hard NDAA NO, there'd be no cameras at their own facilities.

Your overall point about their involvement  is correct. I have close long standing friends in the A/V industry and IPSec and we have tried to get as much of an extensive understanding of where ip cameras are coming from and where the exposures really are. It’s exhausting and half of the time impossible to really find out, up until more recently there was certainly a gap where pretty much all manufac. was there.  However I will say now it IS possible. Hanwha is a great example but any of these systems needing to comply with NDAA or TSA should be isolated completely from external traffic anyways if were going to be doing things proper. 

• 3 months later...

Does anyone have any experience with the new NVR lineup with the older x10 cameras ?

i have the current 510 NVR and the app is unable to push notifications , and the c4 integration is not really that good.

im specifically looking to see if the X20 NVR can push motion or line crossing directly to the new luma app without going through Control4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.