C4 Forums | Control4

New house, new questions

Elvis

Just moved into our new-to-us home. A 2020 build. It came with Vivint security system with 4 cameras, garage door control, and front door lock (Kwikset). I only hear bad things about Vivint... but the system is paid for and there is no contract -- just $50 to activate it. When we toured the home it was working so we got to see it function, albeit limited. The cameras were well placed and seem nice, although I haven't seen night vision. The front doorbell (also Vivint) was on par with our last Ring Pro.

The odd thing is the home also had SimpliSafe installed (and still does) but there is no hub. I know less about SimpliSafe than I do about Vivint.

Even stranger yet, after asking to the builder, the home is wired for security. I've verified that there are two wires at every window. Wired to a location in the master closet -- two separate blanks over two 1 gang boxes. Power and sensor wiring. 

We have Ring installed at our lake cabin. At $99/year it is the cheapest option for a weekender and my insurance company requires it. So I had planned to continue to use Ring so we'd only have one app. No new learning curve for my wife was also a factor.

Returning to Control4 I was pretty happy to hear about the new remotes, but I'll be more excited when I hear how they really work.  Specifically waiting to hear how Siri works with ATV, our primary streamer. And Dish our primary DVR.

Does Vivint integrate, and if so how well?

Are their cameras IP cameras that could be hijacked for another system?

Anyone been hands on with the new remotes yet? 

Elvis,

Vivint does not integrate with C4 to my understanding. What kind of cameras are looking for are you looking for cameras that integrate well with C4? Lastly the nee remotes just start shipping this week, so many of us had not had the opportunity to test out the new remotes. Mine is actually arriving today so I can post more about the remotes later today. 

11 minutes ago, EdC4Tx said:

What kind of cameras are looking for are you looking for...

We'd like to be able to check the cameras from the main TV. It would be especially nice if the doorbell camera would pop up on the TV.

Anxious to hear about the remote! Keep us posted.

Best way to integrate the doorbell camera is to be a C4 doorbell camera. I have this setup in my own home and every time someone rings the doorbell it pops up the feed on all my TVs in the house. Keep in my mind that this needs to be programmed by your dealer. If your looking to view your cameras on your tv, you need to get NVR to be able to view the cameras on your Tv. I’m not sure if vivint offers an NVR but it might not even integrate with the C4 system. Luma is the best camera solution if you want to view your cameras from the C4 app and you can also view them on the tv. 

Vivint is dead panel. Turns out all the door and window sensors are SimpliSafe. The previous owner to the folks we bought it from took the SimpliSafe hub. SimpliSafe says that all those sensors are probably useless and won't pair to a new hub. Pretty much a waste of equipment. We have Ring at the lake cabin so I'll probably go with that. Supposed to work with the KwikSet 888 Z-Wave on the front door.

Cameras all have ethernet run to them so replacing those with PoE cameras might be a good option. Don't know about the doorbell yet -- it's Vivint so hopefully PoE.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.