C4 Forums | Control4

Security cams to switch or nvr?

C4CA

Firstly, It would depend on the NVR.. Some don't allow cameras to operate correctly when connected through the NVR (although, the Chowmain Hikvision driver and such allows it).

My preference is through the NVR, it ensures a few things:

1. If the main network is offline, the NVR will continue to operate. You can use a dedicated UPS just for the NVR (and the NVR will power the cameras)
  2. IP Conflicts and such are not an issue
  3. You aren't exposing your private network on external network cables. If your cameras aren't on a VLAN otherwise, potentially, they could unhook a cable and access your network (which could be used as an attack vector).
  4. It simplifies the network
  5. Some NVR's allow enhanced bitrates through the internal LAN ports
  6. Some NVR's auto configure the cameras

However, the NVR must support it properly. If it doesn't then definitely use LAN (but I'd recommend using VLAN). If you use VLAN, most of these issues are negated anyway

7 hours ago, C4CA said:

Wondering what most integrators prefer, plugging the cameras directly to NVR or to switch? 

ClareVision NVRs and cams have been a great line for us.  We plug the cams in when possible, but can easily connect cams over the network when we cannot get a wire back to the NVR.  We have even had cams connected to an eero mesh network point when there was no way to get any wire back to any network point.  These have all been totally stable.  Clare works perfectly with Clare cams, of coarse, but also with Luma cams and should work with most ONVIF cams.  And Chime Doorbell.

In terms of price, an 8 channel Clare NVR will power 8 cams and doesn't cost to much more than a POE network switch.  As a bonus, you can add up to 8 more networked cams to the NVR.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2023 at 12:06 AM, Andrew luecke said:

Firstly, It would depend on the NVR.. Some don't allow cameras to operate correctly when connected through the NVR (although, the Chowmain Hikvision driver and such allows it).

My preference is through the NVR, it ensures a few things:

1. If the main network is offline, the NVR will continue to operate. You can use a dedicated UPS just for the NVR (and the NVR will power the cameras)
  2. IP Conflicts and such are not an issue
  3. You aren't exposing your private network on external network cables. If your cameras aren't on a VLAN otherwise, potentially, they could unhook a cable and access your network (which could be used as an attack vector).
  4. It simplifies the network
  5. Some NVR's allow enhanced bitrates through the internal LAN ports
  6. Some NVR's auto configure the cameras

However, the NVR must support it properly. If it doesn't then definitely use LAN (but I'd recommend using VLAN). If you use VLAN, most of these issues are negated anyway

If using security cameras plugged into a network switch and have a specific camera VLAN setup - don't you have to allow inter-VLAN routing in order for C4 to see the cameras/NVR? If a cable from a camera is disconnected can't the attacker still gain access using the inter-VLAN routing? I have a Hik NVR and 9 IP cameras with your driver.  I also have a doorbird that is recorded using the NVR. Would I have to move the doorbird to the VLAN to keep the recording capability? 

Second question for Andrew (or other experts) - my installer setup all my Hik Cameras on the generic IP camera driver years ago. I got them to switch over one camera to your new Hik driver last year. I can't say I've noticed a difference. I have all the line crossing etc setup at the camera level. What would I gain by setting up the rest of the cameras using the specific Hik driver? Should the line crossing etc be setup at the camera level or NVR level? Sorry for the thread hijack

2 hours ago, ERDrPC said:

If using security cameras plugged into a network switch and have a specific camera VLAN setup - don't you have to allow inter-VLAN routing in order for C4 to see the cameras/NVR? If a cable from a camera is disconnected can't the attacker still gain access using the inter-VLAN routing? I have a Hik NVR and 9 IP cameras with your driver.  I also have a doorbird that is recorded using the NVR. Would I have to move the doorbird to the VLAN to keep the recording capability? 

Second question for Andrew (or other experts) - my installer setup all my Hik Cameras on the generic IP camera driver years ago. I got them to switch over one camera to your new Hik driver last year. I can't say I've noticed a difference. I have all the line crossing etc setup at the camera level. What would I gain by setting up the rest of the cameras using the specific Hik driver? Should the line crossing etc be setup at the camera level or NVR level? Sorry for the thread hijack

Technically, outbound from internal VLAN -> Cameras is needed, but outbound from cameras VLAN to main probably isn't. But, a NVR can handle the inter-vlan routing a lot easier

Our Driver also allows events, Licence plate recognition and proper commands too. So, notifications for things like faulty HDD can be sent via 4Sight and we configure a few things properly too .

If your NVR supports the custom firmware we also have native IP Remote control too. As C4 changes their camera proxy too, we'll be implementing those features (where possible)

Is a way for the cameras to stream better through control 4? I'm finding the cameras don't load straight way or its hit and miss and what how many load up, clients get annoyed the camera app loads them quicker then the control 4 app? 

I have a job where there is 8 cameras in total, 1 camera is on network as its in a different building using a wireless bridge link, the other 7 are into the NVR direct, previously the old NVR had no direct POE ports and all camera were into a POE switche direct and loaded quicker?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.