DTS Bitstream (Passthrough)

Audio Available via HDMI

LPCM 2 Channel

Dolby Digital Bistream (Passthrough)

DTS Bitstream (Passthrough)

Supported Video Resolutions

480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p

(Including 1080p Upscaling over HDMI)

Well, .iso is always good because it's a bit for bit copy of everything on the disc. However with the media player at this time you dont get menu structures, so it can cause some issues. We'll have to wait for the first batch of units arrive to get more info about them.

As it *does* support .avi files with XviD encoding, and DivX and XviD share a pretty common ancestry, it's possible that files encoded in DivX will play just fine on the player, although I don't run across DivX files often and haven't tried them, I have played a lot of XivD .avi files, which work great.

RyanE

I personally like MP4 H264 :) I can play it on my netgear box, control4 box, iTouch, mytouch, and… it’s a fairly small file (1.4gb normal).

I second this. I use the PS3 and these files work great, small size, high quality, and rip time isn't terrible. my video camera records in h264 as well.

• 2 weeks later...
All I can say is WOW !! I love the C4 Media Player! Easy to setup and works flawlessly.

Ok. So after it's setup, would you mind sharing a bit of info on how movies and videos are streamed/scanned.

..what does this actually mean "Through Control4® Composer software, consolidates a home owner's video collection (DVD discs, Blu-ray discs and video files) into a single virtual library, allowing them to easily navigate their video collection from a single user interface"

Does this happen automatically like the AppleTV? Are the actually files moved? Does a menu pop up of all available shares or is there some sort of folder and file pathway that needs to be manually typed into the device?

I'm asking this because as an itunes fanboy, all my home made movies I've made, and free itunes video podcasts etc are naturally all nicely categorized in the itunes folder(and music subfolders). Yeh Iknow it's sort of weird the way apple puts all this stuff in the itunes "music" folder...but that's my system. I'm used to this. And it saves me tirelessly moving files around all the time onto NAS's etc. I know where they all are! It's also really easy to use itunes to move and play the same file again on another Apple device as C4pa has already posted.

So what is the gossip on how the C4 handles this? I mean how easy is it to actually play legit .m4v files straight off of itunes using C4's media player? Is it as easy and fool proof as the Apple TV?

Also I assume it won't play anything protected .m4v files like purchased TV shows from itunes..(geez do we have to go through "that" again..been there done that with Apple digital music....)

I am not sure, if I am reading your question right, but I will try to help.

It is very similiar to how C4 handles audio. It does not do a continuous scan to see if anything is NEW in your location. When you have put a new video file into your share you have to have it scan again to find the file.

I am not sure, if I am reading your question right, but I will try to help.

It is very similiar to how C4 handles audio. It does not do a continuous scan to see if anything is NEW in your location. When you have put a new video file into your share you have to have it scan again to find the file.

Ok cool. Thanks for help. So do all the available 'shares' appear- and you chose which one (file path) to use?

This is how that 'other' network player I use works. Very effective.

So what happens with file copies/ multiple shares? Do you end up with 'double ups'

my videos are strung all over the place. (my family uses 4 different computers)

I want to be able to just select ONE share. Off my mac. The 'itunes' path. music/iTunes/itunesmusic/.... Or whatever it is. Just one keeps things simple. Store everything in iTunes folder. All organised. That way when the DRM is finally removed off videos( as it inevitably was removed off music) there is no stuffing around. I want to keep using iTunes for video organising- the same way as I use it for music. :)

So what happens with file copies/ multiple shares? Do you end up with 'double ups'

I want to be able to just select ONE share. Off my mac. The 'itunes' path. music/iTunes/itunesmusic/.... Or whatever it is. Just one keeps things simple. Store everything in iTunes folder. All organised. That way when the DRM is finally removed off videos( as it inevitably was removed off music) there is no stuffing around. I want to keep using iTunes for video organising- the same way as I use it for music. :)

It's just like digital media, in fact the network share driver has two subcategories: audio media and video media. If they are located on the same share, you scan for audio media in...audio media and video media in video media. Only put the video and audio media you want on this share to prevent duplicates, which will happen - (I have "I Am Legend" ripped in different formats for testing and it shows up about 4 times in coverart view).

It's just like digital media' date=' in fact the network share driver has two subcategories: audio media and video media. If they are located on the same share, you scan for audio media in...audio media and video media in video media. Only put the video and audio media you want on this share to prevent duplicates, which will happen - (I have "I Am Legend" ripped in different formats for testing and it shows up about 4 times in coverart view).[/quote']

So you CAN chose ONE share? Yes or no:)

I think that is why there has been alot of talk about Nas.

Then you can keep all the video in one location, and point c4 and itunes to the same directory

Trust me. Despite what various manufacturers 'claim' about iTunes NAS compatibity/ syncronisation etc, they NEVER work seamlessly with iTunes. There is always stuffing around with the iTunes library. Been there done that with a large music library. Trust me I know! iTunes works best with it's library stored on a mac.

Archived