C4 Forums | Control4

Best video format for use with C4 Media Player

scthomp4267

You can have any number of shares you want. That includes one.

I'm still not understanding- If I'm to provide a pathway to just one location, namely the NAS (so sez my dealer), how does the player handle multiple shares?

The player doesn't handle them. You can have as many shares as you want, and Composer scans them fir media and catalogs them in the GUI. Then you select a movie director tells the media player to play the file located here: \\192.168.1.210\movies\happy_Gilmore.ISO.

The media player doesn't know or care what share it cones from, it just gets instructed to play a file located "here"

Does that make sense?

Dan. I thought it made sense.... But now I'm not so sure! How does what you are saying confirm you can just select one share?

With my favourite music player, once the network has been scanned, all the available shares appear. The user then choses which share to use and thereby selects ONE pathway to the music file folder/s.

Is this how you are saying the C4media player operates? The advantage of this is that if you elect NOT to use a NAS, and stream straight of a computer, any backdrives on your network that by necessity contain copies of these video files aren't duplicated in the players menu (Therby avoiding double ups on the GUI)

I hope I am not confusing everyone further :rolleyes:

I must be as thick as two bricks on this one... But I don't get it :) I'm a sandwich short of a picnic on all this!!!

With 2TB drives (and backup drives) available on computers these days, there is more than enough space for video files, and as I have said before NAS drives can be problematic when maintaining iTunes libraries.

Dan. I thought it made sense.... But now I'm not so sure! How does what you are saying confirm you can just select one share?

With my favourite music player, once the network has been scanned, all the available shares appear. The user then choses which share to use and thereby selects ONE pathway to the music file folder/s.

Is this how you are saying the C4media player operates? The advantage of this is that if you elect NOT to use a NAS, and stream straight of a computer, any backdrives on your network that by necessity contain copies of these video files aren't duplicated in the players menu (Therby avoiding double ups on the GUI)

I hope I am not confusing everyone further :rolleyes:

I must be as thick as two bricks on this one... But I don't get it :) I'm a sandwich short of a picnic on all this!!!

With 2TB drives (and backup drives) available on computers these days, there is more than enough space for video files, and as I have said before NAS drives can be problematic when maintaining iTunes libraries.

As Dan said, the media player has no idea what shares exist. The C4 controller handles all the scanning of any file storage it has been programmed to access. When you select a movie to watch the C4 controller just tells the media player the location of the file and the media player access the file.

If you have duplicate copies of a movie in different shares you will get duplicate copies of that movie in the GUI. I beta tested the media player and had the Matrix ripped in multiple different formats, each of the formats showed up in the GUI because I had 6 different copies of the movie ripped.

Sorry, if this is correct, not being able to program an individual share seems just plain daft IMHO. As you have pointed out this will result in multiple duplicates for users who have backup video files on their network, or who have multiple iTunes libraries ( something very common in families with a couple of teenagers!)

I hope someone addresses this in future software upgrades....:)

Sorry, if this is correct, not being able to select an individual file path seems just plain daft IMHO. As you have pointed out this will result in multiple duplicates for users who have backup video files on their network, or who have multiple iTunes libraries ( something very common in families with a couple of teenagers!)

I hope someone addresses this in future software upgrades....:)

So here's what you do.

In one share on your NAS, have your movies that you want to be showing through the Control4 coverart interface. Scan it. Done. Only the ones you want show up. The others can be anywhere else, and C4 doesn't care because it's only looking at the share you tell it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

In my search for seamless playback of iTunes content, Ive come across elgato eyeconnect. This brilliant little program runs continuously in OSX's settings, and basically serves up iTunes music, iPhoto, and movies content as well as eye tv recorded shows, to any network attached DNLA certified media player/tv/receiver whatever. As long as it has upnp. I've tested this with my Integra receiver for music and it works real well. So the theory is.....why not serve up movies and recorded TV files to the Control4 media player in the same way. :)

I've tried searching Control4.com specs etc. I've noticed reading the blurb on 2.0, C4 have added better DLNA media compatibilty. But can't find if the Control4 media player is specifically DLNA upnp certified.

Does anybody know?

Thx.

DLNA did not make it into 2.0 at this time.

http://www.control4.com/news/86/44/Control4-Debuts-Control4-OS-2-0-at-CEDIA-EXPO-2009/

Announcement under "improved media support". I don't get this Cody. Are you saying this hasn't happened (confused)?

DLNA was planned but did not make it into the initial release for 2.0. There's nothing about it in release notes, etc.

^ Just to color this a little more - the word I got was not that "DLNA was planned but did not make it into the initial release for 2.0" BUT that the effort was actually abandoned some time ago.

Perhaps I'm wrong but ....

Archived