C4 Forums | Control4

Room Power Off Question

BrianD

I had a question regarding leaving devices on after sending a Power off command to a room. We replaced a customers older Tivo unit with a new Dish HD/DVR system in their media room and I was wanting know how would I configure it so that when I send the power off command to the room it leaves the DVR alone so that it can continue to record.

Before when they sent the power off command it would turn off all devices except for the Tivo unit which it would leave running. I did not do any custom programming for this to happen. Now with this new DVR unit, when a power off command is sent it will turn off everything inluding the DVR. I've added a delay of a few seconds and then a power on command to the DVR but there is probably a better solution so the unit (Hard Drive) doesn't experience the jolt of being turned off and on all the time.

Is there anyway to exclude the DVR from the Room Power Off Command?

Thanks

The problem with "assume device is always on" is after a power outage the device will be off and needs to be powered. While this may be rare I'd rather not do a trouble call over it so I just replace the discrete power off code with the discrete power on code.

Hmm. Video sync time!

You could always use the video sync input to determine whether it is on or off. Then using All Wired Up's suggestion, and some mucking around in programming you could keep this device permanently on - even after power failure!

I've got a better idea - why not edit the DRIVER for the device and simple DELETE the POWER OFF command? This way even if it sends the command - no IR code is transmitted, but it'll always send it the POWER ON command (which when the unit is on, will do nothing).

Yes slemay, same result, I was going to mention that but couldn't remember if deleting the code and leaving it blank with the driver set to discrete on and off caused a problem.

Samer, there are some composite video signals C4 can't read so I avoid it if I have another solution. Anyone know how to determine if a device puts out the right composite signal?

True, but if the device is a TOAD, what are you going to do.

If this is a device with discrete commands, most DVRs will record from standby mode. Check and see if the DISH unit is one. The Comcast devices do.

If it's a toad then you should probably try the video sync like samer said. You're dead on about the standby mode. Personally I don't like to put dish into standby though as Dish equipment is inferior and can make you wait through test screens while it wakes up. JMHO

I've got a better idea - why not edit the DRIVER for the device and simple DELETE the POWER OFF command? This way even if it sends the command - no IR code is transmitted, but it'll always send it the POWER ON command (which when the unit is on, will do nothing).

This is a good idea :)

Archived