C4 Forums | Control4

C4 Serial/IR Extender.

UNBELIEVABLE! The more I learn about this outfit, the more uneasy I become!

I have just had the basic Home Theater Controller "installed" (cost an Arm and a Leg!)and now I want to control a SECOND Sony CX777ES Changer.

The Serial/IR Extender seemed the logical choice.

You sound knowledgeable. Please advise.

Nick. N.

This bums me out too.... finding out that the serial/ir extender may not become available really screw me up. I have a system with a MC and a HTC and I am still out of serial connections and IR connections. The IR I can work around by using more than 1 emitter per output, but with serial connections, I am out of luck. Adding a HTC would be feasible if it had 3 or 4 serial connections, but to just get 1 is silly. Hopefully C4 will see the importance of this product and get moving on it. Jeff

One other thing to consider is that most of the serial drivers out there for C4 appear to be 1 way so they really offer no advantage over ir, besides not having an ir cable sticking to the front of the piece. The Sony 777es DVD changer is the best use for the 2 way serial. Other than that, security is the other thing that they have worked on for 2 way com.

In fact, at least with Denon receivers, I have had more luck with ir than serial with C4. So don't hang your hat on serial so quick.

• 1 year later...

The upcoming 1.3.2 release will have much better support for the Global Cache' units.

Previously, the serial ports worked, IR worked, but IR macros did not execute properly.

In the 1.3.2 release, that should be fixed, and Global Cache' units should work well.

RyanE

Archived