C4 Forums | Control4

8" T4 touch screens flickering

I have a puzzling problem with two 8" T4 touch screens.  A few weeks ago, both of them started intermittently flickering; imagine the screen shifting to the left and back very rapidly to create a flicker.  We have 7 other touch screens of different types (5 T4 10" screens and 2 T3's), all of which are fine.  While I cannot reproduce the flickering on demand, it seems to be much more likely when the brightness is low, and I have seen this behavior begin immediately after a programmatic change in brightness on numerous occasions.  At a minimum, it's highly correlated with changes in brightness and with low brightness settings.

I would have assumed this to be a hardware problem, but I'm mystified that the same issue happened at exactly the same time on both of our 8" T4s.  It seems pretty unlikely that hardware failures would happen simultaneously on two units.  It makes me wonder if this was a bad software update to the touch screens instead.  

Is this a hardware issue that I should seek replacements for? Or should I just wait for a software fix?  I imagine replacements are going to take forever and a day to arrive, so I'm hoping for the latter.

Thanks

I would have concluded the same as you.  Hardware being more likely bit both failing at the same time tends to imply software (or power surge damage of some sort).

Have you checked that your T4s (working and broken) are all on the same software version?  You could have your dealer reflash the 2 problem Touchscreens…

8 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Take a video when it happens next and get them replaced. This is a known issue with certain batches of 8" T4 screens

Thanks, that is good to know.  I guess it was just an unlucky coincidence that they both went south at the same time.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/4/2023 at 12:36 AM, DLite said:

I have a puzzling problem with two 8" T4 touch screens.  A few weeks ago, both of them started intermittently flickering; imagine the screen shifting to the left and back very rapidly to create a flicker.  We have 7 other touch screens of different types (5 T4 10" screens and 2 T3's), all of which are fine.  While I cannot reproduce the flickering on demand, it seems to be much more likely when the brightness is low, and I have seen this behavior begin immediately after a programmatic change in brightness on numerous occasions.  At a minimum, it's highly correlated with changes in brightness and with low brightness settings.

I would have assumed this to be a hardware problem, but I'm mystified that the same issue happened at exactly the same time on both of our 8" T4s.  It seems pretty unlikely that hardware failures would happen simultaneously on two units.  It makes me wonder if this was a bad software update to the touch screens instead.  

Is this a hardware issue that I should seek replacements for? Or should I just wait for a software fix?  I imagine replacements are going to take forever and a day to arrive, so I'm hoping for the latter.

Thanks

Same issue here. Two T4s. Horrible. C4 regional rep coming to our home. Repeated issues with Core 1, all neeos dying. Two new T4s bad

3 hours ago, eggzlot said:

I am starting to notice flickering on my T4 also, but it appears to only happen at night after like 9/930.  And I have it auto shut off at 10pm every night.

Interestingly, that is exactly how mine started too.  By any chance, do you have auto-brightness turned on, so that it dims at night?  I notice it seems more likely when brightness changes, and especially when it gets dimmer. (However, this is not a hard and fast rule, only something that appears to predict relative risk.)

3 hours ago, eggzlot said:

I am starting to notice flickering on my T4 also, but it appears to only happen at night after like 9/930.  And I have it auto shut off at 10pm every night.

Don’t know re autobrightness but don’t car. Told C4 to replace them all and all our neeos. Regional rep coming to our house. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.