C4 Forums | Control4

T3 Dead?

So my. screen in the pool house may be dead. No lights, nothing....

I took the screen off the wall to just look and did notice a blue led on the board on wall side of the ribbon cable.

Does anyone know if there's a way to check what might be dead or if any parts are replaceable?

thanks

3 hours ago, ekohn00 said:

So my. screen in the pool house may be dead. No lights, nothing....

I took the screen off the wall to just look and did notice a blue led on the board on wall side of the ribbon cable.

Does anyone know if there's a way to check what might be dead or if any parts are replaceable?

thanks

If u have a Power adapter that is Micro USB, 5v, 2 ~ 3 amps, use it to test if the screen will boot up again or not, while resetting it, there is a micro USB port in the back of the screen.

If it boots up then reattach to the ribbon and see if it’s good, if not ribbon need a change, otherwise it needs a reflash, just follow the guide and u will have it back.

8 hours ago, Amr said:

If u have a Power adapter that is Micro USB, 5v, 2 ~ 3 amps, use it to test if the screen will boot up again or not, while resetting it, there is a micro USB port in the back of the screen.

If it boots up then reattach to the ribbon and see if it’s good, if not ribbon need a change, otherwise it needs a reflash, just follow the guide and u will have it back.

@Amr, thanks for the guidance.

I've tried a few things, and the most I can get right now is the led next to the camera will flash when i hit reset. 

There's no other sign of life. I've tried hold reset, rese and power, power, etc. Is there any know combination I should make sure to try?

4 hours ago, ekohn00 said:

I've tried a few things, and the most I can get right now is the led next to the camera will flash when i hit reset. 

There's no other sign of life. I've tried hold reset, rese and power, power, etc. Is there any know combination I should make sure to try?

Just reset the screen with correct combination A & C, here r the key combinations for the reset

IMG_4223.png

Also for trouble shooting sack, if u have another ribbon cable, use it, sometimes back box also have issues, I had purchased some T3 @ $30 and operated them with a newer backbox! So eliminating or narrowing down where the issues are is your win @ end and can save u tons of money!

4 hours ago, Amr said:

Just reset the screen with correct combination A & C, here r the key combinations for the reset

IMG_4223.png

Thanks, I didn't know the A + C. Unfortunately still dead.

Looking for a T3 removal tool, and will see if i can swap this with one of the working faceplates to rule out the cable and mid box.

58 minutes ago, ekohn00 said:

Thanks, I didn't know the A + C. Unfortunately still dead.

Looking for a T3 removal tool, and will see if i can swap this with one of the working faceplates to rule out the cable and mid box.

Yep this would be my next check points, also try to boot from micro USB @back before connecting and ribbon or backbox, all u need is 5v, 2.5 amps or more adapter

13 hours ago, Amr said:

Yep this would be my next check points, also try to boot from micro USB @back before connecting and ribbon or backbox, all u need is 5v, 2.5 amps or more adapter

I already tried the USB boot...no joy.

I already tried the USB boot...no joy.

U need to reflash it then. Try the steps as per the post hopefully u get it working again, it’s rarely for me to see a hardware issue, had revived 22/23 T3 units so far, some for me and some for others 🙃

35 minutes ago, Amr said:

U need to reflash it then. Try the steps as per the post hopefully u get it working again, it’s rarely for me to see a hardware issue, had revived 22/23 T3 units so far, some for me and some for others 🙃

I think after a lot of tries, this unit might be dead-dead. I've tried to book via usb, tried reset, even swapped it with another T3 faceplate. Nothing seems to make it work.

11 hours ago, ekohn00 said:

I think after a lot of tries, this unit might be dead-dead. I've tried to book via usb, tried reset, even swapped it with another T3 faceplate. Nothing seems to make it work.

Reflash it, did u tried that? This dead black screen is a boot loop that won’t make it working, so u need to try that

6 hours ago, Amr said:

Reflash it, did u tried that? This dead black screen is a boot loop that won’t make it working, so u need to try that

i'm still trying to get the right sw and drivers. so far i tried the rocktrip factory tool but the screen isn't even seen in the list of usb devices.

This thread should have all the instructions you need as well as links to known working software (do note the cable needing to be not just a charging cable!).  Usually (but not always) the screen will show an error though: if it's not lighting up at all (not even a blue tinge powerup on the screen) you may indeed just have a truly dead unit (ie it's a true hardware failure, not a software one). In addition, even if the screen powers, up it's not impossible that the RAM itself is in fact shot. Always worth trying the reflash of course - but it's not an infinite fix for everything.

I appreciate everyone's help...but i think either lightning or power failure fried this one.

It's just not receptive. The only glimor of hope is i do get a few flickers of light when hitting reset and power. fast and brely noticable.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.