C4 Forums | Control4

Open Weather & Thermostat Programming

I would like to create programming that will adjust the relative indoor humidity inside the house based on the exterior temperature to prevent condensation from forming on the windows.

1) Should I use the "Outdoor Temperature Changed" in the thermostat driver OR "Today_Temperature_Min" in the Open Weather driver to program this?

2) Will the attached programming achieve this?

Aprilaire Driver Program Humidity Inside House.jpg

12 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Look at the driver properties I think you get to pick. 

I might have missed it, but I did not see it in there.

More concerning, the properties for the driver are not updating with the weather conditions (see attached picture).  How do I get this to start populating correctly?

Open Weather Driver.jpg

27 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

There is a tab called documentation - explains everything

The first step in documentation Quick Start Guide is "Set project Latitude, Longitude & Temperature scale in the project properties page".  There is nowhere to enter this information in the Project Properties.  Is this supposed to be done at time of driver installation?

Do I need the paid subscription for Open Weather or will the free account work?

Just now, ajd123 said:

The first step in documentation Quick Start Guide is "Set project Latitude, Longitude & Temperature scale in the project properties page".  There is nowhere to enter this information in the Project Properties.  Is this supposed to be done at time of driver installation?

It's for the project not the driver. It's setup for you already 

1 hour ago, ajd123 said:

the driver is using the controllers location under project properties (not driver properties) for this information

1 minute ago, c4toys said:

the driver is using the controllers location under project properties (not driver properties) for this information

Correct, Mitch pointed that out.  However, my information is still not populating (current conditions, today's forecast, tomorrows forecast). 

Do I need a paid account with Open Weather?  What am I missing?

14 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

Pretty sure Open Weather requires a paid account now. 

Would you happen to know what subscription is required (see attached picture)?

I subscribed to One Call API 3.0.  Hoping a Professional Subscription is not required since that starts at $40usd per month.

@alanchow can you provide some input please?

Open Weather Plans.jpg

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

It works w our a subscription 

Seems like the system needs 4-6 hours after creating an account for Control4 to connect.  I don't think this is a Control4 or Open Weather Driver issue, I think the OpenWeather website takes that much time for the account to become active...

Either way, the fields in the driver are now populating :) 

@ajd123 I also use OpenWeather w/out a subscription to help determine whether to open hurricane shades (based on wind speed and amount of rain forecasted).  It seems to work well for that.  My experience is that OpenWeather really isn't a "real time" solution.  There is significant propagation delay between local weather data capture, transmission to OpenWeather database, database ETL, and finally data available to server up.  

Since temps don't change that quickly, your use case is probably fine.  But don't be surprised if the data available via the C4 driver path versus the OpenWeather GUI route is different for the same location.  Good luck!  And if you think about it, give us an update later with how this has worked out.

I use Open weather Chowmain Agent to get rain data, am not so sure if u can get rain data with the C4 driver!? I use rain data to shut off all outdoor sockets to avoid any issues …

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.