C4 Forums | Control4

Turn The Room Off

8 minutes ago, ajd123 said:

When "Turn The Room Off" programming is used, it seems to just turn off any active sessions for that room.  Does it do anything else?

All Audio/Video, U can add whatever with programing

Just now, Amr said:

All Audio/Video, U can add whatever with programing

Not the case, it does not turn off IP controlled TV's in those room.  Maybe it only works for video if distributed video is set up?

2 minutes ago, ajd123 said:

Not the case, it does not turn off IP controlled TV's in those room.  Maybe it only works for video if distributed video is set up?

No, U have an issue with this TV, u either turned on CEC/HDMI control or something else is preventing the TV from going OFF, wrong driver? Room Off will turn off whatever session is playing Audio or Video that’s it

Think I got this figured out. 

Some rooms have TV's with IP control, but most of the time those TV's are controlled via the TVs OEM remote.

In those rooms, Control4 does not know the TV is on (and therefore does not know to turn the TV off)?

33 minutes ago, ajd123 said:

Some rooms have TV's with IP control, but most of the time those TV's are controlled via the TVs OEM remote.

In those rooms, Control4 does not know the TV is on (and therefore does not know to turn the TV off)?

I see, u need to hide OEM remotes and use C4 remotes, otherwise you will end up with these sync issues!

37 minutes ago, ajd123 said:

Never used oem remotes

Just now, msgreenf said:

Never used oem remotes

I understand this is the C4 mantra, but in some rooms all I have is a television and nothing else C4 related.

These rooms are used by the kids who like the voice feature on the OEM remotes so they can speak to the TV.

Those rooms need to remain on OEM remotes.

It's not really a mantra, as it's the limitations of the control protocols. Essentially Control4 wont know precise room and device states when using OEM remotes, so you basically have 2 options:

1. Don't use OEM remotes and rely on Control4 for TV control.
  2. Don't use Control4 and rely on OEM remotes.

I wish there was a better answer than that. But this is the way.

Technically, there is a more complex 3rd option. It involves custom programming on/off buttons for all those TV devices that still use OEM remotes. You would add interface clutter, only be able to turn on/off the tv using those buttons (not room off commands), you'd get into complicated state checking, the buttons would be extremely fragile, and the custom programming costs would be quite high (you could probably buy a new TV for the cost). I would NOT recommend this route.

15 minutes ago, Anks329 said:

Could you add some custom programming that send a power off command to the tv, if the tv supports a discrete power off vs a power toggle, and have this programming triggered when the room off command is invoked? 

I would not recommend it. 

1 hour ago, Anks329 said:

Could you add some custom programming that send a power off command to the tv, if the tv supports a discrete power off vs a power toggle, and have this programming triggered when the room off command is invoked? 

This is exactly what I do now. 

I only use this programming to ensure the TV's are off when the alarm is armed away (and nobody is home).

For that single feature, I cannot justify spending the money to place a Control4 remote in each of those rooms (and until recently, voice control was not even an option on Control4 remotes).

3 hours ago, ajd123 said:

For that single feature, I cannot justify spending the money to place a Control4 remote in each of those rooms

Then use the app.

The moment an outside control is used for this sort of thing, it creates issues just like these. The C4 system doesn't 'prevent' using it, but you're basically degrading reliability by using it.

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

Then use the app.

The moment an outside control is used for this sort of thing, it creates issues just like these. The C4 system doesn't 'prevent' using it, but you're basically degrading reliability by using it.

I have it programmed two ways for every room:

1) Room Off: this addresses if the TV was turned on by Control4 (and there is an active session).

2) TV (within room) Power Off: this addresses if the TV was turned on manually by the OEM remote.

In this application, for simply ensuring the TV's are turned off when nobody homes, I really don't run into many issues.

The issue was I did not realize "Room Off" would only send a TV Power Off signal if control4 thought the device was on (in an active seesion).

Thank you everyone for the good feedback.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.