C4 Forums | Control4

IR types

All Wired Up!

Baza, I have not used the IRPrisms as of yet. I've not had any situation where the annoying wire was enough of a eye-sore for a customer to warrant a little more money.

The IRPrisms are about 1.50 our cost and you put them where the IR Emitter would normall go then place the IR emitter on the top or bottom of the device facing the prism. Or if in a cabinet situation you could use just one or two IR flashers like Audioplex's IRFlood, but then again it's a cabinet so probably wouldn't warrant it.

I am anxiously awaiting the day for ALL equipment to come with an IR jack on the back (and ethernet).

To note however, anytime I have enough lead time to plan an IR install I use Audioplex IR stuff. It's always been stellar.

• 3 weeks later...

Dumb question of the day: Is the S-Link connection used by Sony essentially just a direct-connect for the IR? Is it as simple as plugging a cable with 1/8" mono connectors on both ends to a IR out on the MC and the S-Link on a Sony TV? If this works, I should use the low-power IR out on the MC, correct?

I imagine S-Link can do more, but will this work?

Dumb question of the day: Is the S-Link connection used by Sony essentially just a direct-connect for the IR? Is it as simple as plugging a cable with 1/8" mono connectors on both ends to a IR out on the MC and the S-Link on a Sony TV? If this works, I should use the low-power IR out on the MC, correct?

I imagine S-Link can do more, but will this work?

I tried this with a sony dvd changer... it doesn't work at all.

Correct, we're using it on all the Sony's we install. You DO NOT tell Composer (in the driver edit section) that it is a direct connection. If you do, it'll strip off the carrier info - which then makes the IR blasts not work. So again - DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING in Composer - just hook it up from the HTC or MC directly to the S-Link on the Sony and continue as normal.

Correct, we're using it on all the Sony's we install. You DO NOT tell Composer (in the driver edit section) that it is a direct connection. If you do, it'll strip off the carrier info - which then makes the IR blasts not work. So again - DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING in Composer - just hook it up from the HTC or MC directly to the S-Link on the Sony and continue as normal.

This does not work with a sony dvd changer.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived