C4 Forums | Control4

Does C4 REALLY want you to program your system via Composer HE ??

trdrscott

I don't mind paying for 4sight and HE - what I do mind is the lack of support and guidance (user manuals, help file that is more detailed, C4 contributions to a support forum etc) necessary for users to make the most of these products. I do NOT want to rely on my dealer to tweak my system. I do not like to wait for him to "get around to it", and I would prefer to spend the money I'm shelling out to him on additional C4 hardware that he would end up installing anyway.

I spent over $30k on my setup, and I am only halfway there (perhaps not if this is the extent of user support from C4).

I am NOT trying to "crowd out" the dealers and installers. Would C4 prefer that they spend their time on tweaks or on new build-outs and expanding existing systems?

I can tell you if you want continued support here it's probably a good idea to change your tune a bit. I've seen users with attitudes so bad people here quit responding to their posts. We're all here just trying to help each other.

Instead of complaining here send an email to Control4. That way they will at least see your complaints. Thus isn't Control4's forum, it is ran by CytexOne as a gift to the community.

Thanks CytexOne!

I'm glad Control4 created ComposerHE as an option, that was one of the things that made me pick C4 as my automation system. I don't know of any other systems but Vantage and X10 based systems that have end-user software.

I should also add that Composer HE is a fairly new thing (the last 18 months or so) and was made due to "popular demand" so that homeowners could do some tweaking themselves.

How about this idea? Could CytexOne add a new discussion forum with the explicit title: "Programming with ComposerHE: Tips, ideas and inspiration for programming your system" It sounds like when this forum was created, ComposerHE didn't exist and I think it would be great to have all ComposerHE programming consolidated into one discussion forum (instead of scattered throughout).

For me, I would not have purchased a C4 system if ComposerHE didn't exist. As a relatively new C4 enthusiast, I enjoy tweaking and trying new ideas to get the most out of my system. And I visit this forum regularly specifically looking for cool, new programming ideas. I would happily share the things/tricks I've figured out, but currently, programming ideas seems to be scattered everywhere and it frequently digresses into Composer vs ComposerHE debates etc...

I like C4Central and I believe it was designed to address this issue, but like others, I want even more. Increasingly, posts now include "Dan/Cody, how about a write up for the blog?" 1 or 2 volunteers can't address all these questions. (The one idea I submitted to the blog was rejected for being too complex... I've since figured it out myself and would happily share with others). So, I'd still like to see a new discussion forum where all C4 enthusiasts could contribute their ComposerHE programming ideas.

Anyone else like the idea of a new discussion forum dedicated to "Programming with ComposerHE"? (Or even, just rename and change the description of the existing "Control4 Software: Control4 Composer / Director Help & Information" forum to make it a little more specific)

There is already the tips and tricks forum, which is for this purpose. It doesn't get used enough, everything seems to fall into the "General Discussion".

I want to add again that if you have something that you feel is worth of a write-up on C4Central, please email it to me/Cody. As you mentioned it is tough finding time to answer the questions that come in and to complete lengthy write-ups. Cody is in the Control4 business, I am not. Both of us do C4Central as a hobby, and I know that for me it has been hard finding hobby time lately. I hope that will change, but in the meantime if you have something you feel should be written up on the blog, throw a draft of the write-up together and email it to me. We will work together to get it up on the blog quickly if it makes sense.

Could CytexOne add a new discussion forum with the explicit title: "Programming with ComposerHE: Tips, ideas and inspiration for programming your system" It sounds like when this forum was created, ComposerHE didn't exist and I think it would be great to have all ComposerHE programming consolidated into one discussion forum (instead of scattered throughout).

Great idea, Done!

• 2 months later...

I do have two remotes. 1-250 and the other is a 150 I think (no screen on it)

I took out the batteries of both of them, cycled the power to the hc-300, waited about 30 min, then I out the batteries back into the 250. I thenn hit the red 4 button four times and then cancel. Still nothing except "control4 remote" and the time. A new note is that the time is not setting to the hc-300 either. Once I turned the remote back on it started at 12:00 pm again, and it is not noon.

So while I am new to Control4, I would assume that this is a sure sign that the remote is not connecting to the hc-300. So one more note is that I had my cable modem and the wireless router installed on Wed (just moving in), but the Control4 box was installed Monday and the remotes did not stop working until Saturday morning. I did not mention this before because againg they worked for two days after the modem install. Just to be safe I also took power out of the whole system and started with the modem, then powered the router, and finally the hc-300, then did the remote battery change, "4" button four times and "cancel".

Thanks for the help so far, any other ideas would be great, I hate running to the closet to change channels. If all else fails my dealer will be here to install the AMP and switch tomorrow, but there is collage BBall today :-)

thanks again!

Archived