C4 Forums | Control4

Niveus Media Players / servers

thecodeman

Found this video from CES' date=' some may find it interesting. Our development box arrives Friday...

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=21935[/quote']

Interesting because when you read the AVS forum dedicated to this, it is fraught with errors and trouble shooting. It's not plug and play. Especially when using a Denon or Onkyo receiver.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1172451

People are download nightly builds and overriding codecs/install files in order to make it work, and it still doesn't all the time.

And this is why Niveus is a premium offering. They get it working, and you don't have to jack with nightly builds, drivers, etc. We'll be using these with Onkyo 1007s, and will report what we find. Until we have a capable hdmi solution, our first install with Niveus will use Digital Coax for the time being (there's no dedicated theater so this isn't a great concern).

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What benefit would it have if the Niveus boxes had the metadata browsing for your movies through the Control4 interface, but you could also use it (not through Control4 but on it's own)for viewing Hulu and Netflix content? Are a lot of people interested in the digital tv (ATSC) from Over The Air (local channels) recording capabilites, and if so, would an interface for the guide and recording info be useful in 2.0?

Are you saying that the box would run in the background and you access its content thru the Control4 interface via apps that you develop?

I'm not sure about Hulu, Boxee, etc. at this point because their interfaces might be difficult to reproduce/control from the C4 interface. We don't have any development kits so we don't know what we can and can't do.

• 4 months later...
People are download nightly builds and overriding codecs/install files in order to make it work, and it still doesn't all the time.

And this is why Niveus is a premium offering. They get it working, and you don't have to jack with nightly builds, drivers, etc. We'll be using these with Onkyo 1007s, and will report what we find. Until we have a capable hdmi solution, our first install with Niveus will use Digital Coax for the time being (there's no dedicated theater so this isn't a great concern).

Cody what have you found on this? I have an Integra. So if you can get hdmi working with Onkyo, I'm sweet....but I'm not real sure why I would part with two grand and buy something that didn't have full hdmi into a receiver....particularly if it was supposed to work straight out of the box. Actually come to think of it, I don't get the whole "Niveus dvi->hdmi adapter/ play audio out of digital coax, therefore can't get full blu ray audio thing" quite frankly. Surely at over 2 grand you would want just one hdmi cable straight from a Niveus Zone into your receiver running full blu ray video and audio. No tweeks required :)

Archived