C4 Forums | Control4

How to have the lights turn on automatically when you pause your video

ILoveC4

• 3 months later...

Other things to consider when using this are:

1) Most times pressing the Pause button can do the same thing as Play, so Ive programmed it differently such that if a video is paused then the pause button is pressed again then it does the same thing as if Play was pressed (ie lights turn back off)

2) A lot of times once a video gets paused it is never restarted, either because the person/people decide to stop watching and go to another source, or because the room was turned off rather than pressing play. In both of those cases since I use a variable to track the pause state (for #1 above) I have to reset my variable.

3) In the room where we watch most of our TV (family room) you get sufficient ambient light if any of 3 or 4 other lights are on (kitchen, morning room, upstairs hall lights, etc). If you have a similar situation you can put in nested IF statements so that if any of those lights are on then the programming does not execute because you dont need more ambient light.

Other things to consider when using this are:

1) Most times pressing the Pause button can do the same thing as Play, so Ive programmed it differently such that if a video is paused then the pause button is pressed again then it does the same thing as if Play was pressed (ie lights turn back off)

2) A lot of times once a video gets paused it is never restarted, either because the person/people decide to stop watching and go to another source, or because the room was turned off rather than pressing play. In both of those cases since I use a variable to track the pause state (for #1 above) I have to reset my variable.

3) In the room where we watch most of our TV (family room) you get sufficient ambient light if any of 3 or 4 other lights are on (kitchen, morning room, upstairs hall lights, etc). If you have a similar situation you can put in nested IF statements so that if any of those lights are on then the programming does not execute because you dont need more ambient light.

Good points akg4y, thank you.

It is also worth noting that if you have a Card Access motion sensor nearby you can use the built in light level sensor to create a conditional statement as well.

• 1 month later...

I must be doing something wrong. If my lights are 100% and I press pause, it is dimming to 25% then pressing play lights go back to 100%. It works fine when lights are off though. Any help?

In the third screenshot in my writeup, look at the third programming line. I think that's your problem, you're probably missing that conditional statement, or the statement underneath it isn't nested properly.

That's my guess.

You can always post a screenshot of your programming.

Thanks for prompt response! My screen looks similar but the items are not indented as they list down. Does this mean they are not nested correctly and if so how do I get them to "tab" it. The order is correct.

Yes, they need to be "indented" (nested). To nest something under a conditional statement just click and hold on the programming line you want to move, and move the mouse curser over the "?" at the beginning of the conditional statement. You should see a little arrow pointing to the right appear. If you "unclick" while that arrow is present it will become nested.

Hopefully that makes sense. I'm not very good at explaining things sometimes...

Archived