C4 Forums | Control4

Zigbee triangulation for location aware remote controls

JayFunnell

The C4 remote controls require the user to specify which room they are in. Because they are mobile devices it would be ideal to have them 'discover' their location automatically.

GPS technology is not ideal for indoor applications and it would add extra cost to install special location beacons so why not determine the location of the device by its location in the Zigbee mesh? Perhaps it is possible to trangulate the location of the remote control or use the average packet latency between points to approximate its location.

I saw this research paper that looks applicable: http://www.tyndall.ie/nap/SD-presentation-24-1-08.pdf

Jay

Plus, that would be almost impossible unless the device measuring what room it was in was dead center in the middle of a square room. Even then, far from perfect. Being that switches are in the wall there are situations in my home where you could be 5 feet from the closest dimmer and be in four different rooms.

I think triangulation would be awesome for zigbee devices. You could use the Card Access app with the floorplan, specify the location of your fixed zigbee devices, and your rolling. I'd put a zigbee fob on my keys, my kids, .... We need a zigbee genius to comment here. Doesn't triangulation work using transmission times?

How about a little rfid in the house. The remote could have an embedded rfid chip and each room a reader. In this way the remote could be put in the room it's physically in.

A person with a fob containing a unique rfid chip could walk in to a room equiped with an rfid reader and the room could automatically be set with that persons room pref's.

How about a little rfid in the house. The remote could have an embedded rfid chip and each room a reader. In this way the remote could be put in the room it's physically in.

A person with a fob containing a unique rfid chip could walk in to a room equiped with an rfid reader and the room could automatically be set with that persons room pref's.

I read an article about Bill Gates house and he has that.

I had the same idea to location aware remote. I don't think it would be all that difficult to implement. Let's say you declare a master zigbee zone source in each zone to be controlled. The remote defaults to the zone which has the strongest signal of all the master zigbee zone sources. It wouldn't be foolproof, I'm thinking that possibly 2 zones right on top of each other on different floors may conflict, but picking another zone source probably would allow them to differentiate. Just a thought, and it could possibly work with only an update to the remote itself.

Archived