C4 Forums | Control4

Zigbee Server question

wingzz

if you have two controllers set to both be zigbee servers, say one on the first floor and one on the second, do you have to set the switches to go through one server or the other or do they just connect to the strongest signal??

The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of adding C4 control to the bedroom and was wondering if I would get better coverage by using 2 zigbee servers

you have to run two different channels, and the devices that talk to the first floor must be on the channel for that controller, and the devices on the second floor must be on the channel for that controller. So whichever one is changed from 14, your dealer has to change all the zigbee channels for the devices that are supposed to talk to the controller on it's new channel.

if you have two controllers set to both be zigbee servers, say one on the first floor and one on the second, do you have to set the switches to go through one server or the other or do they just connect to the strongest signal??

The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of adding C4 control to the bedroom and was wondering if I would get better coverage by using 2 zigbee servers

In pre 1.8 you can't have two controllers on the same ZigBee channel, so yes you will need to change the channel on the dimmers/switches/KPs and remotes to match the ZigBee channel on one of the controllers. If you use multiple controllers on different channels and one of the controllers goes down all the devices that connect to that channel will be down too.

In 1.8 and above you can use ZAPs all on the same channel and ZigBee Pro figures out which ZAP has the strongest signal and uses that one.

In 1.8 and above you can use ZAPs all on the same channel and ZigBee Pro figures out which ZAP has the strongest signal and uses that one.

I was trying once to set up multiple ZAP's in a large system but it didn't work well. My understanding was that since controller is harwired all zigbee devices will talk to the closer controller and that controller/ZAP will talk to dirrector over the network. After talking to TS they told me that original design of ZAP was just like that but right now it is not working. TS told me to just set up multiple SERVERS and create "islands". Dimmers, switches, key pads will connect to the closer server, and with 1.8 it will set separete channels automatically. It works fine now, only think is that remotes can not move arround the house.

I was trying once to set up multiple ZAP's in a large system but it didn't work well. My understanding was that since controller is harwired all zigbee devices will talk to the closer controller and that controller/ZAP will talk to dirrector over the network. After talking to TS they told me that original design of ZAP was just like that but right now it is not working. TS told me to just set up multiple SERVERS and create "islands". Dimmers' date=' switches, key pads will connect to the closer server, and with 1.8 it will set separete channels automatically. It works fine now, only think is that remotes can not move arround the house.[/quote']

Either TS told gave you incorrect information or you misunderstood what TS said. ZAPs work fine. The only really problematic area is when you have a discontinuous ZigBee Pro mesh. When the ZAP boots it must be in radio contact with the mesh to be able to correctly authenticate and join the mesh. Once this happens the ZigBee traffic will travel from the ZAP across the Ethernet. If the ZAP can't communicate with the mesh to join it will not work correctly.

I was trying once to set up multiple ZAP's in a large system but it didn't work well. My understanding was that since controller is harwired all zigbee devices will talk to the closer controller and that controller/ZAP will talk to dirrector over the network. After talking to TS they told me that original design of ZAP was just like that but right now it is not working. TS told me to just set up multiple SERVERS and create "islands". Dimmers' date=' switches, key pads will connect to the closer server, and with 1.8 it will set separete channels automatically. It works fine now, only think is that remotes can not move arround the house.[/quote']

Either TS told gave you incorrect information or you misunderstood what TS said. ZAPs work fine. The only really problematic area is when you have a discontinuous ZigBee Pro mesh. When the ZAP boots it must be in radio contact with the mesh to be able to correctly authenticate and join the mesh. Once this happens the ZigBee traffic will travel from the ZAP across the Ethernet. If the ZAP can't communicate with the mesh to join it will not work correctly.

+1, though I think that issue was resolved in the latest 1.8.2 build RE: out of radio contact.

Archived