C4 Forums | Control4

Netgear WNDR3700

c4pa

Has anybody used one of these? Does it play well with Control4?

http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/WirelessNRoutersandGateways/WNDR3700.aspx

one of my IT friends is working on upgrading my network at home and says he likes what it can do and how it can be configured, but he asked that I check here first to see what, if any, the thoughts were.

Thanks.

so we hooked up the new router, named it the same as the old one. Control4 worked seemlessly, and still is. Unfortunately my friend brought his teething daughter and had to leave prematurely. We are encountering a problem where any laptop connected wirelessly or I believe wired will lose its connection to the router after about 20 minutes. The computers can see the router, can attempt to connect to it, but it will not get an IP address from the router. If I power cycle the router, all is good, for another 20-30 minutes. now, Control4 works all the time, still working this morning after being on all night. not really the issue I had imagined, quite the opposite actually. I haven't had a chance to get a hold of him again, I imagine he didn't sleep much last night.

Have any of you seen anything like this or have any thoughts? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jberger,

that seems to the common idea, since posting I checked the netgear forum and it appears to be a know issue and common one. 1 possible cause is attaching a USB hdd with video on it, which I have done. a possible fix is a firmware update. I am planning on testing both when i get home.

the wired connection may be working with the laptops, but I think we tested yesterday and even that dropped out at least once. Again, didn't have much time to test or try to fix.

• 3 years later...

Ok, just installed this router and my wifi speaker points are online and work with Rhapsody.

When I use the Internet radio/Rhapsody the speaker point kill the bandwidth. I have 30 down and 5 up.

Example tunein/Rhaposdy when on 1 SP 2 down and 4 up. Rhapsody works most of tunein will not even come on.

Netflix running wifi 30 and 5...

My g router worked we were trying to speed things up... Any thoughts... Are we missing something?

Speakerpoint runs on G at best, so your N-router is automatically dropped to G to begin with.

For one, the speakerpoint is NOT connecting to the internet for Rhapsody or TuneIn. Your main controller is and IT streams the actual audio to the speakerpoint. So as such, the speakerpoint will not be the bottleneck for internet speed. However dropping a live stream on a g WiFi network most likely would cause a bottleneck on the WiFi.

As the 3700 allows multiple SSIDs, it may help to split them out and use one dedicated to the speakerpoints, seperate from the rest - how well this will work will depend on if the 3700 will actually do multiple true wifi networks or not - I'm not sure if it does or doesnt.

Best practise is to have something like a (or perhaps a few) speakerpoint on a dedicated WiFi AP.

I also wonder how you're testing the the speed. WHEN you are in a Rhapsody session, are you testing current speed on a computer at the same time - and more importantly - is that computer hardwired at that time?

How that speed is tested is rather telling, or can be, on where the issue is.

Speakerpoint runs on G at best, so your N-router is automatically dropped to G to begin with.

True, but the 3700 has dual band simultaneous wifi, so it *should* have N and G at the same time without crippling the N - just have your N devices connect on 5ghz and leave the 2ghz for G. It may be able to break this out easy for you with a second SSID, so you can be sure you're using the right one (like WIFIN for 5ghz and WIFIG for 2.4). Just an idea. 5ghz wont get you any extra range necessarily, but it does net you a lot cleaner spectrum since most traffic is on 2.4, and it will also reduce interference with your C4 zigbee (which is in 2.4). YMMV.

N capability and 5Ghz are not related as such - being N compatible from a device side in no way means it can connect to 5Ghz. Most devices will not in fact.

True - my iPad 3 will, my lenovo "ultrabook" will not. I just tried it on my router last night.

Archived