C4 Forums | Control4

Any security experts ... question on PIR/dual tech motions

dgbrown

I'm in the market for a few motion sensors (wired) that are indoor rated pet immune (read 2 30lb dogs) - either dual tech or straight PIR. The application is for alarm and occupancy.

I'm looking for a recommendation on brands and models. If anyone has a few minutes to share their practical expertise I'd appreciate it.

Sorry, Im not an expert just a regular end user... I just know that my GE sensors get triggered by my little 8 and 20 lb dogs all the time when they run around the room together.

My understanding of motion sensors is they separate their field of view into a number of zones, just one zone being active or maybe 2 might not trigger it, but once you pass the threshold of contiguous zones being active it does get triggered. Since my two little critters always run around together they probably set off 2-3 contiguous zones on the motion detector which sets it off.

I cant really see how a motion detector would be able to avoid that unless it really had a lot more zones and could easily distinguish between animals that were only 1 foot apart.

Archived