C4 Forums | Control4

Dimmer Update Question

bababooey

I am an end user and I have 3 v1 dimmers and I'm running Composer 1.7.

I want to add a couple of more new dimmers (C4-DIM1-Z-WH) and a new 6 button (C4-KP6-Z-WH) ... as well as upgrade to Composer 1.8.

Is there any additional labor involved to make the old dimmers work with the new ones (i.e. Zigbee update, etc)?

I'm getting conflicting information from two dealers I have contacted and I was hoping for some help from the forum.

Thanks.

Yes the old dimmers will need to be upgraded to Zigbee Pro and so will your whole project along with any other Zigbee devices which are on 1.7.

So there is definitely some additional labor involved in doing this.

You really shouldn't be doing the upgrade yourself. Lots of potentail for things to go wrong on that update. Please contact a dealer and let them do it for you. Just my 2 cents.

+1

Even having been through 1.8 training, reading and rereading release and update notes, and all my experience as a dealer/programmer. My first update to 1.8 was a complete train wreck. Of course this was not a customers system, so a bit of spit & polish and everything was fine. Point being, this is one update that you let the pros do.

Robert

Thanks for the feedback ... I had no intention of doing the upgrade myself because I'm an end-user and can't (I only have Composer HE).

As I mentioned, I've contacted a couple of dealers in my area and just wanted to confirm the upgrade path.

Thanks again.

^Just curious, what is conflicting about the situation? If you add the latest components you WILL get ZP-talking devices. Currently, you have none in your system. Therefore, you either try to locate legacy components (not much sense there) or you update to 1.8.2 and buy the new stuff.

I can't answer for all dealers but budget for maybe 4 hrs. labor to upgrade your system. $129 per load.

Again, I'm an end-user so I'm only going by what the dealers are telling (selling) me ...

One guys says it's no problem to have old switches mixed with new ones as long as I upgrade to 1.8 ... i.e. lower labor quote (< 1 day).

Another guy says a full day's work to install & program 2 new dimmers + 1 6 button ... AND ... upgrade to 1.8 and "update" the old dimmers so they work with the new ones.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out which guy has the correct information so I'm in a better position to discuss the required labor.

It all depends on how fast the guy works and how many dimmers you have. There is no way for anyone on this forum to use that information to tell you how long it will take someone (an unknown person) to update your project to zigbee pro.

The old switches can be updated, that is something I can confirm.

Again, I'm an end-user so I'm only going by what the dealers are telling (selling) me ...

One guys says it's no problem to have old switches mixed with new ones as long as I upgrade to 1.8 ... i.e. lower labor quote (< 1 day).

Another guy says a full day's work to install & program 2 new dimmers + 1 6 button ... AND ... upgrade to 1.8 and "update" the old dimmers so they work with the new ones.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out which guy has the correct information so I'm in a better position to discuss the required labor.

He's right- you can have old load controls mixed with new ones. All will be on Zigbee Pro. And, the dealer does not need to stand-around all day on your nickel. You should be invoiced for less than one day for all the above work.

One dealer may have a Zstick and the other may not, that can account for the time difference.

You can mix old/new dimmers without any problem, it's just the upgrade time that is a variable.

Honestly, I'd rather tell someone it's going to take longer and have them budget accordingly than tell them it will be less than a day and not meet the expectation.

One dealer may have a Zstick and the other may not, that can account for the time difference.

You can mix old/new dimmers without any problem, it's just the upgrade time that is a variable.

Honestly, I'd rather tell someone it's going to take longer and have them budget accordingly than tell them it will be less than a day and not meet the expectation.

Yeah, but you sound like a good honest dealer. There are way to many dealers out there that do the opposite of that.

Archived