C4 Forums | Control4

Lighting, switches dimmers etc..

indiansfan1

Ok so I have an older house and I need some suggestions, and also ways to hook up the wiring. I have older style wiring, Knob style, no romex anywhere. So my first quesiton is what wires would I use on the switches to make them work?

Secondly, I have multiple locations in the house that have multi switches, meaning there are two switches in one room. How to I combat this?

Lastly, I have 2 locations in my house that has a switch that controls 2 lights (2 switches in one gang) and those also have 2 locations. To give you a better idea one set of switches controls the lights at the bottom of the stairs and the top of the stairs. At the bottom of the stairs you have two switches, and at the top of the stairs you have two switches. Any simple solution for these things?

Thanks!

Three way solutions should be simple, you use one dimmer to control the load and keypads in the other locations.

If you're uncomfortable using the schematics provided with the switches/dimmers you should hire an electrician.

ILoveC4 will answer you because he is a great guy and his last statement is most important for YOU. I have rehab'ed 120~150 yr. old homes in my past life and one thing you don't want to guess on is the electrical. I don't agree with historians at all on this- they are foolish to think knob & tube is hip.

You hire a license electrician and he should point-out deficiencies while he preps for the automation. In the words of Mike Holmes- MAKE IT RIGHT.

I'm ok with the Electrical, I just need to know which wires are going to what part of it. And if I fry one I just get an RMA :-) doesn't identify... But I rather not

If you're okay with the electrical why the hell are you on here asking how to wire the switches?

I have some lying around- I'll try right now. And, if it goes pear-shaped, I'll RMA them :)

Right now I have one spare keypad and on spare dimmer, but I'm not about to "fry" them for the community science project.

Let's let this idiot tell us what happens with them...

Do a google search for 'Fox and Hound Electrical Tester' This device can help you identify the hot side from the neutral when no ground is present, but it takes a bit of work. The documentation should help walk you through it. I have to reinforce the guys recommendation to consult an electrician because I feel someone with enough experience to do this difficult job would already know the answers to your concerns. Nevertheless, I hope the suggestion helps.

Take care.

Ok let me simplify my question a little bit then. In locations where I have a 3 way switch (2 switches in one room controlling 1 light) I use a switch, and a 2 button keypad, but won't that 2 button keypad die when the switch on the other side of the room is flipped? If you know anything about 3 way switching it'll pull the hot wire off of the keypad and kill the power to it. Comments?

When wiring Control4 dimmers and keypads only one dimmer (or switch) controls the load. You connect the load directly to the dimmer. The keypad at the other end of the 3-way is now independent and just needs power, it no longer needs to be part of the light circuit.

Archived