C4 Forums | Control4

HC300 or HC1000

vantageone

Spec-ing a system with 50+ dimmers/keypads and audio(No distributed video now). Need IR and other control interfaces on HC 300 but concerned about being able to properly control 50+ devices with HC300 (worried about delays when pressing switches). Should I use HC1000 and control expansion module instead or combine HC300 with HC1000?

The 1000 cannot run Navigator and has no video outputs, so it must be used with a 200, 300, 500, MC, or HTC as a slave.

If all you're spec'ing is lighting and keypads, 50 is not a *huge* amount. Over 75 and you'll want another controller. It's not the best, but I have done a single 500 and over 100 on 1.7.4 temporarily. Awfully slow, but it still worked.

If you can swing the 300 and 1000 together, it will be your best bet.

My early system was an HC500 with audio matrix, 50+/- lighting, a couple of MiniTS. The project was slow.

Now my project is much bigger and I use an HC1000, HC500, HC300 and about 70+/- light loads/keypads/audio and video matrix, 4 thermostats, 7 miniTS, and assorted other stuff.

The 1000 made everything fast and very nice to use and made the growing project a pleasure to expand.

Spend your bucks on the 1000 as the backbone of the system. As Cody says above, get the 1000 and 300 as a great start for your project.

My early system was an HC500 with audio matrix, 50+/- lighting, a couple of MiniTS. The project was slow.

Now my project is much bigger and I use an HC1000, HC500, HC300 and about 70+/- light loads/keypads/audio and video matrix, 4 thermostats, 7 miniTS, and assorted other stuff.

The 1000 made everything fast and very nice to use and made the growing project a pleasure to expand.

Spend your bucks on the 1000 as the backbone of the system. As Cody says above, get the 1000 and 300 as a great start for your project.

From the feedback and other conversations, it looks like I will go the route of 1000 and 300. Anybody heard if the 500 is being replaced with a "runs faster, jumps higher, new" device that I wish I would have purchased after submitting my order for the 300 and 1000?

Thanks

My early system was an HC500 with audio matrix' date=' 50+/- lighting, a couple of MiniTS. The project was slow.

Spend your bucks on the 1000 as the backbone of the system. As Cody says above, get the 1000 and 300 as a great start for your project.[/quote']

From the feedback and other conversations, it looks like I will go the route of 1000 and 300. Anybody heard if the 500 is being replaced with a "runs faster, jumps higher, new" device that I wish I would have purchased after submitting my order for the 300 and 1000?

Thanks

With the introduction of the I/O extender and reduced price of the 1000, I don't see any need in the product line at this point. The 200, 300, and 1000 are capable today. Of course, Control4 does not reveal it's rodmap, and typically annunces these things at shows: CES (Jan) and CEDIA (Sept).

Cody.

I'm about to add an I/O extender into my project to handle extra serial and relay control. At the moment my main "primary" navigator sits on a HC300. If I find things start to slow up a bit do I just add a HC1000? Is this what this is supposed to be for? My understanding of the HC1000 is it's just a "dumb" sort of turbo boost for the system. Doesn't do anything else. Just confirming the primary navigator remains on the HC300...

I'm asking this because the EV Sonos app that is being loaded for me next week needs to be attached (and can't be moved from) one specific Controller.

Cody.

I'm about to add an I/O extender into my project to handle extra serial and relay control. At the moment my main "primary" navigator sits on a HC300. If I find things start to slow up a bit do I just add a HC1000? Is this what this is supposed to be for? Is the main "primary" navigator then moved onto the HC1000? Or does it remain on the HC300?

I'm asking this because the EV Sonos app that is being loaded for me next week needs to be attached (and can't be moved from) one specific Controller.

"Director" is moved to the 1000, in addition to Zigbee Server in 1.8+

Navigator still runs on 500,300,200,HTC, MC since it requires video outputs that the 1000 doesn't have.

The only reason for a 1000 is for significant performance boost to the entire project. It can store some media on it's hard drive but a NAS is better suited for expansion and redundancy.

The HC1000 cannot run navigator, it just runs director. When you say navigator, do you mean director?

I mean the "brains" of the whole project. Whatever holds all the programming. The main software. Whatever you change and tweek with Composer HE..

Each Controller has a version of Navigator. But there is only one version of Director. Which sits on the primary Controller. In my case a HC300. Right?

Geez I'm daft sometimes....:rolleyes:

The HC1000 cannot run navigator' date=' it just runs director. When you say navigator, do you mean director?[/quote']

I mean the "brains" of the whole project. Whatever holds all the programming. The main software. Whatever you change and tweek with Composer HE..

Each Controller has a version of Navigator. But there is only one version of Director. Which sits on the primary Controller. In my case a HC300. Right?

Geez I'm daft sometimes....:rolleyes:

You got it!

Not much doubt an HC1000 will boost my projects response times, but can you mod the thing and stick in a larger HDD? 500G seems a bit skimpy these days. Also is there an easy way to backup what's stored on the HC1000? and finally can you share files onto non C4 media players, or is it locked down.

Thanks (again):)

Not much doubt an HC1000 will boost my projects response times, but can you mod the thing and stick in a larger HDD? 500G seems a bit skimpy these days. Also is there an easy way to backup what's stored on the HC1000? and finally can you share files onto non C4 media players, or is it locked down.

spl147 replaced the hard drive in his HC500 with a 1.5 TB Western Cavier Black drive. He used some software to completely clone the drive that was already inside the HC500 and then put the new drive in. He said it worked great.

This is obviously unsupported. 500GB is fine for me, I just use it for about 350 gigs of music (the part of my 800GB library I listen to the most). The rest I keep on the NAS.

All right stop. Collaborate and listen. Stop trying to hack your brand new system.

Warranty, if you break it you bought it.

Your wife won't be happy and your purchase - she fought it.

Will your tweaking stop? Yo, probably not.

Just get a NAS drive and you'll thank us a lot.

To the extreme you can rock Control4 like a vandal

But some times your ideas can cause a big scandal.

Not much doubt an HC1000 will boost my projects response times' date=' but can you mod the thing and stick in a larger HDD? 500G seems a bit skimpy these days. Also is there an easy way to backup what's stored on the HC1000? and finally can you share files onto non C4 media players, or is it locked down.

Thanks (again):)[/quote']

All right stop. Collaborate and listen. Stop trying to hack your brand new system.

Warranty, if you break it you bought it.

Your wife won't be happy and your purchase - she fought it.

Will your tweaking stop? Yo, probably not.

Just get a NAS drive and you'll thank us a lot.

To the extreme you can rock Control4 like a vandal

But some times your ideas can cause a big scandal.

I'm a schemin' and a listenin' but don't worry- not a moddin'

'Cause a 1000's just been ordered to rock Sonos in my system

3 point 5 K poorer. And my wife?... She's none the wiser..

Till da mortgage repo guys roll up - to toss me down da river...!

So hey Bro - just chill...'cause I know I'm sucha dill...

See I lub my C4 family...

I KNOW ya all so sick o' me!!! :D

Archived