C4 Forums | Control4

Certified Control4 UPS from Tripp Lite

andy.cytexone

I haven't been able to find the model number, and it looks like Control4 is releasing a driver for it. Not sure the exact benefits, and Jim Gist is promoting the device in the press release.

I know you can remotely manage it via IP, so maybe Control4 will be able to control it, monitor it, and trigger events when the UPS goes on battery? Oh, and it's rack mountable - both 1U & 2U versions - so that's nice...

Read more the full article here: http://www.tripplite.com/press/releases/release.cfm?lang=english&id=294

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

nothing under a $100 - sorry. For what this equipment costs - you can't expect a $100 device to properly protect it. Would be like asking for a home owners policy on a million dollar house and only expecting to pay $100 a year for it.

At the very least a decent line condition is a few hundred dollars... up to what we like: the APC S10, S15 and S20 series of battery backups with line conditioning - but those start at over $1000.

$100 is going to get you a fairly small UPS only meant to protect a couple pieces of equipment properly. You might get away with an hc500 without any issues, but if you have a couple of them, then getting a bigger UPS is key. I dont see spendinging $1000, thats a little steep for a smaller install for sure. A decent surge protector is key on other components like amps and matrix switches, something like the controller is KEY to have a UPS on if your only going to spend a limited amount on power protection.

I dont know why you would spend a few hundred on a line conditioner, for the most part you dont need it unless the wiring in your house is very bad, or you are running the install off a generator :D

Just to protect my MC ("old" version...old already and I've had it for 1 year!) and my "old V1" amp and maybe my receiver.

This is what I got:

APC 650VA 8-Outlet UPS

Up to 15.4 minutes backup run time

390W/650VA

8 Outlets

Includes: CD with software, Free trial of anti-virus

USB interface (cable included)

LED status display

Master and controlled outlets

I've lived with no protection for a year so this has got to be better than what I had. It's a new house so wiring is fine but the power in my town has it's share of brown/black outs.

Line Conditioner is not the same as a battery backup... if you experience brown outs / spikes - a battery backup will do NOTHING for you. That is where a line conditioner comes in. Misconception by many, is that a battery backup is all you need... but we've seen MORE THAN ONCE - FIRST HAND - systems that blew up / burned out because an inexpensive battery backup was put on the line and people thought it would be enough.

Take it from experience - spend a few hundred dollars and get a decent line conditioner first!!!! THAN - add your cheap UPS 2nd!! That's the "budget" way of doing it. Or - spend $500 and get a 1/2 decent system (J series of APC comes to mind - but they're not "that" great - I still suggest the "S" series when you can afford it).

I do agree - that if you've got a very basic / simple install - than no need to spend $500 in a setup when it's only protecting an HC-500 and maybe a TV. But if you've got $5000 in equipment - why wouldn't you want to spend $500 (10%) to protect it!?!? Sure - you have insurance - but 1) Your rates will go up after that claim, 2) Make sure "acts of god" are protected - most insurance does NOT cover that!!!!! and 3) It sometimes takes weeks, if not months, to get a claim approved / check issued.

Line Conditioner is not the same as a battery backup... if you experience brown outs / spikes - a battery backup will do NOTHING for you. That is where a line conditioner comes in. Misconception by many, is that a battery backup is all you need... but we've seen MORE THAN ONCE - FIRST HAND - systems that blew up / burned out because an inexpensive battery backup was put on the line and people thought it would be enough.

Take it from experience - spend a few hundred dollars and get a decent line conditioner first!!!! THAN - add your cheap UPS 2nd!! That's the "budget" way of doing it. Or - spend $500 and get a 1/2 decent system (J series of APC comes to mind - but they're not "that" great - I still suggest the "S" series when you can afford it).

I do agree - that if you've got a very basic / simple install - than no need to spend $500 in a setup when it's only protecting an HC-500 and maybe a TV. But if you've got $5000 in equipment - why wouldn't you want to spend $500 (10%) to protect it!?!? Sure - you have insurance - but 1) Your rates will go up after that claim, 2) Make sure "acts of god" are protected - most insurance does NOT cover that!!!!! and 3) It sometimes takes weeks, if not months, to get a claim approved / check issued.

Even the lower end UPS under $100 have AVR or Line Condition (AC cut, AC boost). Unless your spending $40 on a UPS then you will probably have a really crappy unit, but for the most part brands like APC, Belkin and Tripp Lite make pretty good units.

• 5 weeks later...

http://www.monstercable.com/power/voltage_stabilizers/home_theater_reference.asp

and http://www.monstercable.com/power/uninterruptible_power_supplies.asp

Is what I have works GREAT!!!

You would be shocked in the level of voltage changes, this can destroy your system very quickly and reduce its lifespan by half!!

ITS A MUST HAVE!!

We always suggest the APC products - they've been the industry leaders and created the standards for years...

The "S" series is the "BEST" protection you can get: http://www.apcc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=310

But when budget is a concern - it can be scaled down to the "J" series (which we really do not recommend - as a lot of the good line conditioning features are not in the J series). http://www.apcc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=309

These are one unit that includes both line conditioners and battery backups.

Archived