C4 Forums | Control4

Kwikset deadbolt: Log? Adding codes in Composer?

Lazygirl

I just got my Kwikset deadbolt today, but it's not getting set up until Monday because Kwikset shipped it without a battery pack! Anyway, I was surprised to hear from my programmer today that --

1. There's no way to see a log of who unlocks and locks the door and at what time. I understand I can get an email or text sent to me when these events happen, but I was thinking I'd be able to see a log on 4Sight or through the Control4 screen...can anyone confirm this is true?

2. I can only set 2 codes myself (via the deadbolt itself) and my programmer has to set all 28 other codes via his programming software. That means I have to have him add codes and delete codes whenever I want to give access or remove access! I like my programmer, so this could be worse, and I can keep the 2 codes I can set myself as the codes I give out/change/etc., but this just seems wrong. I saw something on another post about setting codes in Composer...is this something I can do?

The Kwikset setup is new to my Control4 dealer, so I'm hoping that they're just learning with me. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Hi, I have 4 of these locks. You can program the codes in composer HE. There is no log that I know of. I know there is a new driver coming out very soon that enhances the information sent from the lock such as battery level. The locks are a little buggy but work well. If they stop responding to codes you will need to reboot the director controller as a short term work around. Still happy I bought them.

1. There's no way to see a log of who unlocks and locks the door and at what time. I understand I can get an email or text sent to me when these events happen, but I was thinking I'd be able to see a log on 4Sight or through the Control4 screen...can anyone confirm this is true?

That is incorrect. There is a driver variable for the lock driver that maintains in HTML format the lock log. You could certainly send that via email, but it would be difficult to read. The main idea behind the variable was that you can use it in a popup on the Navigator screens, which will interpret that HTML as a nice table of the last times and actions that happened on the lock.

You currently can't view the log from 4Sight.

In OS 2.0, there will be an app available through which you can control your Black and Decker locks, including viewing the log, etc.

2. I can only set 2 codes myself (via the deadbolt itself) and my programmer has to set all 28 other codes via his programming software. That means I have to have him add codes and delete codes whenever I want to give access or remove access! I like my programmer, so this could be worse, and I can keep the 2 codes I can set myself as the codes I give out/change/etc., but this just seems wrong. I saw something on another post about setting codes in Composer...is this something I can do?

As usual, Mercedes is right on the ball, you can do this via ComposerHE.

Additionally, even though the instructions with the lock say you can only enter code 1 and code 2 through the method of pressing the big button a number of times (1 time for code 1, 2 times for 2), I've been told (and just confirmed) that you can set more than codes 1 and 2 with this method, you just have to press the big button X number of times. I don't know how high up you can go, but I just entered in a code in position 5 (by pressing the big button 5 times then entering the code and pressing the 'Lock' button), so it works at least that high.

"If they stop responding to codes?" Ack! So is it possible I'd get locked out afterall?

The *keypad* on the lock doesn't stop responding, and the lock continues to send feedback to the Control4 system. What happens is that there is a way the lock can get in the wrong state with the Control4 system, and once it gets in that state, the Control4 system can't control the lock, so the only way you would be locked out is if you were waiting for someone to remotely unlock the door for you.

All the other functionality (you unlock the door via the keypad, you lock via the lock key on the keypad, etc.) all still work, and report the user who unlocked, etc. even when it gets in that state.

RyanE

Just to clarify, yes, there is this issue currently with the lock and Control4, but the upcoming 1.8 point release is intended to address those issues, as well as (Mercedes scooped me again!) adding some new functionality, like battery low and keypad lockout events, etc.

RyanE

Archived