C4 Forums | Control4

How to play different music simultaneously in different zones?

isanabria

Hi,

I have a HC500, a 8 zones amp and a Remove Control RCZ-SRC2-B. I don't have any conexion to a TV, touch screen, or Navigator installed. A single RCA cable runs from the HC500 to the amp and it is programmed (mapped) so that Audio Media can be played in any of the 8 zones.

I have created multiple playlists using Composer and I can now select them and play them in a given zone.

How to play different music simultaneously in different zones? Am I missing a piece of hardware to do that? Is it a matter of more RCA cables between the HC500 and the amp (which I doubt but I needed to ask here anyway :-))? Is it a matter of programming?

Thanks!

You need another connection from the HC500 to the amp, and your dealer needs to make the appropriate connections in programming. The HC500 has 3 stereo outs, meaning you can have three simultaneous independant streams from it to the amp.

Thanks for your quick answer.

What would I need to have or do to be able to have simultaneous independant streams in the 8 available zones?

You would need 8 independent audio sources. Since your HC-500 provides 3 audio streams you need 5 more audio streams. 3 more HC-300s for example. Are you really needing to play 8 different songs at once?

While I have my system setup to provide 8 different audio (music) sources, only 5 of them are "digital audio" like what you are referring to here, and I think the most I have ever done is three. I can't see where you would want to listen to 8 different audio tracks/playlists at the same time, in the same house. Then again, that's just me. Maybe you'll do it everyday...

These guys are obviously correct. Each output can provide a stream. You can pickup an inexpensive media controller to provide more streams if that's all your after. Cheaper than any other controller and provides 3 audio outs I believe (I can go check mine if it is a big deal. That is all mine is used for anymore. That, and the contacts/relays).

My audio amp currently has 3 inputs from HC-300s, three from my AV sources (xbox, ATV, DISH), and two from my tuner... so all 8 can get used up pretty quickly. The most we ever listen to at the same time is probably 3.

I appreciate very much your responses.

Indeed, I agree that 8 simultaneous audio streams seem to be rather extreme. Nonetheless, I wanted to understand what kind of hardware was typically needed (and akg4y gave us a good example). While my kids are not teenagers yet, I can easily see them consuming different audio streams pretty quickly :-). I can see my family consuming half of that today.

Archived