C4 Forums | Control4

Shootout Update....1 Week before my install.

johnred

Hey, guys I know someone is working on a a shootout of the Media Players. I a week a way from needing to make a committment so I was wondering if anyone have any input about the contenders. I have been staking c4central about an update. So what do you guys think XBMC running on Windows, the Netgear 9100 Express and Elite, Niveus' N7 Pro, Control4's Media Player, and Dune's BD Prime 3.0.

Thanks

I am fine with the netgear and dune price, leaning away from control4. I just want to "easily" store copies of my movies and integrate with c4. Cover art organization etc. Blue Ray not hugely important to me, yet.

Cody - Is Moxi on your list for the Shoot out ? If Niveus is on there already it might make sense.

I could be wrong, but I think the reason Niveus is on there is because they have one coming in for a job they're doing.

I am sure codeman will step in with the full scoop on how he selected what he did, but I'm pretty sure those are all media players that will be available to him (for means other than review) in the immediate future.

Moxi is not - it's more of a DVR solution than a media player solution.

Reednatron - Currently, Dune, PCH's C200, and Nivues are the only players I have heard that will give full BD playback. But that's what the shootout is for...

They promote it as a DVR much more than anything else even on their website.

http://moxi.com/us/home.html

I think it's more of a Tivo competitor. I know this was a post from Wappinghigh in regards to what's missing from all media players... (http://c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=4162) but at this stage we want a focus on players because typically people use Tivo or satellite/cable/uverse provided DVRs. In the future, I could certainly see a comparison between DVRs, but at this point that functionality doesn't have the tight integration with Control4 that a media player does (coverart selection/browsing, etc). Perhaps in 2.0 an app could be developed for DVR scheduling..... hmmm....

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay on this guys. I've been in St. Louis for two weeks moving into our new offices and getting ready for two installs in the DFW area. On the plus side, it looks like we may have another participant in the shootout - Fusion Research contacted us today. We are working on the details but I like where this is headed. We welcome anyone else who thinks they can compete in the HD video streaming space (Kalidescape, where's your piece?). I'm looking now for vendors interested in loaning component and/or HDMI matrix switches for the double-blind comparison part between the two formats (yes, even though component is "sun setting" it's still an important means of connection for many). Also, in addition to the reviews of the players, a get-together in either the DFW area, St. Louis area, or both is being planned so people can see the players in action and test drive them. As usual, keep checking C4Central for updates.

To recap, we have:

Dune BD Prime 3.0

Popcorn Hour C-200

Netgear 9100 Express

Niveus N7

Niveus Zone Pro

XBMC

Fusion (in progress)

Control4 Media Player (in progress - I think our San Antonio office has one still)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
matt4gps, if you think this is still going to be happening I think you're optimistic. I think if this was going to get done it would have happened some time back.

If you think this won't be done you're pessimistic. You know I've been a little busy lately, and even so, we've been making progress towards making this a more interesting shootout - one way IP drivers for Niveus, PCH-200 are now available and I continue to work with Dune. It hasn't happened as quickly as I first thought but the delays will work out for everyone.

It's good to see this thread is not dead yet! I finally decided to take the plunge and get a C4 system. I'm working with a brand new dealer and I'm his first install. What ever the best media player is now, will surely be surpassed by something better within a couple of months. I'm actually leaning toward a WMC HTPC with a Ceton card (cetoncorp.com). Even this is a couple of months away. However, in theory it should be able to stream live TV to four differnet zones to a media extender. Eitherway, a Windows HTPC as a media player would allow the flexability for software/ hardware upgrades as technology changes and be a way for me to digitize my DVD/Blueray collection. It would also eleminate the cost of a distributed video system via baluns, HDMI over ip, component video switches or what ever other method out there that requires a whole additional amount of wiring and hardware.

Archived