C4 Forums | Control4

Equipment rack

Rsmolo

Equipment racks is the way to go, don't let anybody install anything else for you.

I had to replaice audio matrix- it took me 5 min.

I always used custom cables, but this is first one with premade ones, what do you guys think?

component baluns, they are mounted in 4 space, rack mount decora panel. It was supposed to look a bit better but so called "anywhere box" on those baluns was not made right. Good thing is that they are working on it.

component baluns, they are mounted in 4 space, rack mount decora panel. It was supposed to look a bit better but so called "anywhere box" on those baluns was not made right. Good thing is that they are working on it.

That is impressive. Very professional. Better than what I see in most data centers.

I'm going to have to re-do mine; I was in there this afternoon untangling some things the installers did, but it's still not dressed like that. Maybe a project for July. May have to buy a bigger rack before I go to that trouble, though.

Also very impressive.

Those look like elastic, reusable cable ties in the upper photo. What are they called and where could I buy some?

Did you make your interconnect cables to length or just stuff the excess of pre-made ones out of sight? If custom, which cable and connectors do you prefer?

Eagle - You can run a quick google and check toggle ties or bongo ties. I don't recall the exact make those in Cody's pic but they do look like toggle ball ties to me.

I did and saw a couple versions, but not those. The ones I saw didn't seem to have a very secure catch mechanism, but the pictures could have been too small and poor quality to see.

The 1/4's Dan.

Thanks!

I'd also be curious to know what cable and ends you used...they look nice.

@rsmolo, where did you get that audio cable? I need to clean mine up a bit. I am thinking I am going to put a patch panel in the wall or ceiling, then make custom (read: nice looking) cables to go from that panel to the rack.

What's the advantage of this over hook/loop rolls? No cutting?

And the interconnects -- custom-made length or excess just stuffed away?

That's a heck of a lot of video zones!

Eagle -

If we were wagering, I'd bet a # of those 16 RGB's are sources in the field coming back to the rack video matrix.

As for hook/loop - my interest was in some level of tension around the cable bundle.

Dave

I'd bet a # of those 16 RGB's are sources in the field coming back to the rack video matrix.

I guess that's over my rookie head. What requirement causes you to distribute video sources around the building, only to bring them back to a central matrix switch? I don't know much about this stuff so the only sources I can think of needing to be distributed would be cameras. But those are component baluns, right? Are there surveillance-type cameras that output component video?

^ The most likely case would be DVD/BD players and gaming systems.

You may want those in the Theater room, Master suite, etc, so there's no running back to the equipment rack in the basement to swap disks.

^ The most likely case would be DVD/BD players and gaming systems.

You may want those in the Theater room, Master suite, etc, so there's no running back to the equipment rack in the basement to swap disks.

Well, I thought of that. But I couldn't figure why you'd then want the video brought back to the hub. You would still have the "running to the other room to swap disks" problem if you were viewing elsewhere.

I realize that bringing video to the hub allows using a single input on all the displays, regardless of source. I guess that's easier than running two IR emitters, one for source and one for display, then programming Control4 to change the display's input via IR as necessary.

But then you'd have to get audio back as well.

I think I suffer a lack of imagination. :(

I have a situation like that at my house with a Bluray Player. I use it 95% of the time in one room, so that is the room it is physically located it. However, I want to be able to view that source on other TV's as well, so I ran it back to the matrix switch. You're correct in that I have to go to the physical player to change the disc, but that's better than running down to my basement, unlocking the door on the front of the rack (I have little kids), and changing the disc.

I think dgbrown is right, this guy might have 16 video zones, but that would surprise me.

ah I love the jobs where I Can take the time to craft the rack...to bad in this economy when people see the labor break down and ask where to trim and we go over options it seems they care very little about everything in the rack behind closed doors...in fact a customer said point blank " look If you can buy the cables and there already made and it saves money who would honestly care, there not looking behind the rack".... i sure miss the good ole days.... quick question soho, whos punch plates are you using for the component video breakouts, I like the 90's great way to save space in a closet and still use rg6 quad shield for the main runs.

• 1 month later...

Archived