C4 Forums | Control4

Set top box 2 way integration

eytanvestin

So the guide can be loaded on iPad, iPhones and c4 tablets.

The feature would allow to check the guide, recorded tv shows and on demand tv shows without having to look at the tv, it should allow to set recordings from the guide as well without having to turn on the tv.

Thecodeman, how is it possible? Have you gotten this to work with any provider?

9/10 times the control for set top boxes is only IR. For example the HR21PRO directv boxes have rs232 but do not offer any meta data information needed to set this up like you describe. It is possible that some of the new boxes from various premium tv services could offer IP control, but 1) IP control has to be offered in the firmware and 2) there has to be a way to parse this information to populate the guide (meta-data) through the ip control - this must be in the firmware of the box.

I'm not aware of anything outside of a windows media center PC with which this is possible at this time - and I don't know of any driver that exists today to provide this functionality from the touchpanels with the media center PC.

. . . . For example the HR21PRO directv boxes have rs232 but do not offer any meta data information needed to set this up like you describe..

Quick Note - The HR21PRO does offer the meta data needed to setup the system the way OP is describing. You can check the guide, recorded tv shows and on demand tv shows form the touch panel without having to turn the display on. I have done what the OP is requesting a quite few times, obviously not on C4, but the meta date is there it just needs to be parsed.

Now I do not know if a C4 driver exists for the HP21PRO you will need to check with your dealer. If a driver does not exist you will need to someone create it.

. . . . For example the HR21PRO directv boxes have rs232 but do not offer any meta data information needed to set this up like you describe..

Quick Note - The HR21PRO does offer the meta data needed to setup the system the way OP is describing. You can check the guide' date=' recorded tv shows and on demand tv shows form the touch panel without having to turn the display on. I have done what the OP is requesting a quite few times, obviously not on C4, but the meta date is there it just needs to be parsed.

Now I do not know if a C4 driver exists for the HP21PRO you will need to check with your dealer. If a driver does not exist you will need to someone create it.[/quote']

Really... I didn't see that info when I was looking through the RS232 code guide. Guess I need to look again. We use 5 of them in a job with the RS232 port. Unfortunately, they are few and far between and not the "latest and greatest" anymore so I'm not sure what the development return would be. Thanks James for the info!

I deleted the post in regards to DirecTV module. I was under the impression that we were using the Crestron module and I was wrong. I was told by my wife that we are using a DirecTV module written by one of our programmers and that the Crestron module does not list the guide as a text. After I looked at the module and read the "Help File" I posted I believe she is correct.

Sorry about the mis-information. My error.

I don't know about a STB but this should be possible with something like SageTV or MythTV in 2.0.

Finding a dealer(or somebody?) willing to create it for such a limited group is the problem.

XMLTV could be used to display the guide info.

Archived