C4 Forums | Control4

Security Alarm advanced integration

AJ_

So my alarm system is already integrated into C4. But is it possible to take it to the next level and use the motion sensors to trigger lights, etc. I have the ADT panel (upgraded for C4 with the serial interface). I don't have the model #, etc handy at the moment but I can post it if needed.

it is possible to popup alerts when the alarm status changes but the functionality seems like it sucks based on what I saw in HE.

Thanks,

Abhijit

You can absolutely use the motion sensors to trigger lights. You may find it a bit slower than using motion sensors connected directly to the C4 system. This is because the alarm has to sense the motion, send it to the C4 system and then the C4 system has to react. I am installing a Concord 4 right now and plan on heavy integration into my C4 system.

Which alarm system do you have?

Regardless with any alarm system using Composer HE you can program events based on motion triggering etc, however the sensitivity controls etc on the CardAccess motion detectors make them preferable in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Looking to prewire a new project. As I am using all IP CCTV, Voice, TV Distribution and data, we are swamping the building with CAT6. Can we handle the Security and Intrusion Alarm in an intergrated way over the network with C4? Or should we prewire 8core alarm cable to have a segregated alarm system?

Any opinions on this appreciated.

Hi,

Looking to prewire a new project. As I am using all IP CCTV, Voice, TV Distribution and data, we are swamping the building with CAT6. Can we handle the Security and Intrusion Alarm in an intergrated way over the network with C4? Or should we prewire 8core alarm cable to have a segregated alarm system?

Any opinions on this appreciated.

I would run the appropriate wire for a dedicated alarm system. I personally prefer hardwired sensors. I usually use 18/2 ga alarm wire for sensors and 18/4 ga for keypads and such.

You can absolutely use the motion sensors to trigger lights. You may find it a bit slower than using motion sensors connected directly to the C4 system. This is because the alarm has to sense the motion, send it to the C4 system and then the C4 system has to react. I am installing a Concord 4 right now and plan on heavy integration into my C4 system.

I have the same setup, and it does not work well. Whenever you armed the system "STAY" when i go to bed, all motion sensors are disable, making it completely useless. Anyone has a solution for this?

Jim

I have the same setup, and it does not work well. Whenever you armed the system "STAY" when i go to bed, all motion sensors are disable, making it completely useless. Anyone has a solution for this?

Jim

Arm to Stay usually disables interior sensors. This is by design. You would not want the interior motions enabled when you are home since they will trip the alarm. It might be possible to put the motions in a different group that will stay enabled when you arm the system to Stay.

^ Alan ... Are you 100% on that? My understanding is that the motions are NOT disabled but just not armed in stay mode. Similar to when the security panel is disarmed, the motions and contacts still trip but are just not armed, eg. no alarm is triggered but they generate an open which is relayed via the automation module to C4.

Further to your point, you can put the motions in a separate partition that is never armed (if you panel supports that) and you want to use the motions as just motions and never trigger an alarm when the security panel is armed. Depending on the panel an alternate group can be used as well.

^ Alan ... Are you 100% on that? My understanding is that the motions are NOT disabled but just not armed in stay mode. Similar to when the security panel is disarmed, the motions and contacts still trip but are just not armed, eg. no alarm is triggered but they generate an open which is relayed via the automation module to C4.

Further to your point, you can put the motions in a separate partition that is never armed (if you panel supports that) and you want to use the motions as just motions and never trigger an alarm when the security panel is armed. Depending on the panel an alternate group can be used as well.

Good catch Mr Brown. Ever see pulp fiction??? LOL. Mr. White. Mr. Pink. I digress and hope not too offend...

As stated the motion sensors are not disabled from sensing motion in arm to stay. In the arm to stay mode on most alarm systems interior sensors are set to not trip an alarm condition.

^ LOL ! Love that movie and Reservoir Dogs (the movie your quoting) ! No offense taken .... Have a great weekend Alan.

I meant Reservoir Dogs. LOL. Both are great movies. Love the scene when Stuck In The Middle With You is playing.

You can absolutely use the motion sensors to trigger lights. You may find it a bit slower than using motion sensors connected directly to the C4 system. This is because the alarm has to sense the motion' date=' send it to the C4 system and then the C4 system has to react. I am installing a Concord 4 right now and plan on heavy integration into my C4 system.[/quote']

Jim

You need to be more detailed with your issue... are you saying that your motion detectors never function to allow C4 events to trigger, or they are able to trigger C4 events EXCEPT for when your house is armed to stay? If they are triggering events when the security system is disarmed then they should still be triggering events when the system is armed to stay.

You need to be more detailed with your issue... are you saying that your motion detectors never function to allow C4 events to trigger, or they are able to trigger C4 events EXCEPT for when your house is armed to stay? If they are triggering events when the security system is disarmed then they should still be triggering events when the system is armed to stay.

I'm currently using the Honey Vista-ICM module to connect my panel to the C4. As far as I can tell, the ICM module does NOT sent any event to the C4 when the system is in "Armed-Stay", please correct me if I'm wrong, cause I have not found a method to do so.

Jim

If it is sending commands when your system is disarmed but not when it is armed to stay then that seems like it is an issue with the driver. If you have a touchpanel then navigate to the screen where you can see the motion detectors and check and see if the icon shows the little walking man when the motion detector detects motion in the disarmed state and then again in the stay state.

If it shows the motion during disarm then it should show it during stay as well. In that case then there is probably just a programming issue because C4 is clearly registering the motion detector as detecting motion in both states.

If the walking man only shows up when the alarm is disarmed but not when it is set to stay then I would guess there is a driver issue.

Once the system is armed, all the motion sensors are in a state where it does not issue any events. I have check with several ADEMCO installers, and they are all telling me the same thing. How do you have the motion sensors setup in your house in Ademco?

Jim

You need to be more detailed with your issue... are you saying that your motion detectors never function to allow C4 events to trigger' date=' or they are able to trigger C4 events EXCEPT for when your house is armed to stay? If they are triggering events when the security system is disarmed then they should still be triggering events when the system is armed to stay.[/quote']

I'm currently using the Honey Vista-ICM module to connect my panel to the C4. As far as I can tell, the ICM module does NOT sent any event to the C4 when the system is in "Armed-Stay", please correct me if I'm wrong, cause I have not found a method to do so.

Jim

Sounds fishy Jim -

Lets run a test with your door contacts

Can you

* set up an announcement that triggers when the front door contact opens.

* Or send yourself an email when the front door opens (assuming you have 4sight)

* Leave the house "unarmed"

* Open the front door

* Does the announcement/email fire ?

* Close the front door

If yes ->

* Arm the house to "Away"

* Open the front door

* Does the alarm go off ?

* If yes, reset the alarm

* Did the announcement/email fire ?

* Close the front door

If yes ->

* Arm the house to "Stay"

* Open the front door

* Does the alarm go off ?

* If yes, reset the alarm

* Did the announcement/email fire ?

* Close the front door

If this all works then run set up a similar announcement/email with one of your motions and run through the same tests.

Please report back.

If you don't see any contact sensors or motions in the the rooms of your project then you're not fully integrated yet. You'll need to get your dealer back.

Archived