C4 Forums | Control4

9 minitouch screens in a surgical center

Ryan

scope: 9 rooms each with Mini Touch Screens. (We wired L/R RCA's to each MTS)

2 of these rooms also have L/R audio jacks so doc's can plug in Ipods as local sources.

Sources: *Mainly Digital audio (will be loading 30,000+ songs)

*Comcast music

Problems encountered: I've assigned 2 C4 amps BUT the second is and ELAN12 channel amp. I labeled it Elan Amp.. I plan to use this in zones where there are volume controls and plan send line level back from the MTS to feed those zones.

Okay, i've tackled a couple of theatre's, some lighting, HTC, Mediacontrollers and such but i'm having a hell of a time wrapping my brain around the 9 Mini's. The capacity to stream is 7 (I think)...so here is my dilemma...what is the proper way set this up with bindings and which L/R RCA should I connect back to the amps.

Its a shot in the dark that you guys are willing to help but any pointers/ things to avoid is greatly appreciated.

Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

We have recently completed a project for a doctor's office that involved 21 touchscreens, 4 amps (no switcher), 3 XM tuners and 1 Multi-Tuner. In addition to the C4 gear we integrated a nurse paging system.

We had no need for local source, so if your trouble is there I can't help. As far as the 7 theoretical streams, in practice you can only have 3 from 1 media controller when doing centralized amplification- there are only 3 outputs. You would need to expand the system with additional controllers or do local amplification (speaker points).

For us, the 5 analog sources listed above and 1 digital stream are more than enough choices. We could add 2 more digital streams if this is ever necessary.

The paging system is interesting- we found a paging system that accepts a email and fowards it to a pager. We had to ensure the page would be as fast as possible so we purchased our own paging gear. The system costs us about $3000 for the paging unit and 15 alphanumeric pagers. When a doc needs a specific nurse to a specific room, he pushes a custom button that sends an email to the pager unit. The whole process takes about 5 seconds. Example: "Nurse Betty to Exam Room 1". Someday we will attempt to switch to a serial interface to cut the whole email process out of the system making it even faster and more reliable.

To make the system easy for the docs, we created custom buttons for the audio sources. They don't have to scroll through the GUI to get to what they want. They just push the button for what they want to listen to. We also programmed the shortcut button on the TS to mute and unmute the room.

The system has been operational for 1.5 months and is heavily used M-F all day. We have had 1 service call after a power loss.

I hope this helps in some way.

Ryan, I don't know if you've figured out what you needed but here's some info just in case.

You don't need the RCA connections from the MTS unless you want to go from the MTS to an amp in the room for local amplification. So in that case the MTS is nothing but a touch screen interface and does nothing with the handling of audio.

Steve, as I understood it, there is no way to "daisy-chain" the amps so if you put more than one in a project then you have to use the switcher. So then I am thinking either you don't have it that the whole system can all play the same thing or you did some sort of splitting the outputs of the media controller, tuners, etc.

Inquiring minds wanna know!

Right you are but...We are trying to trick the system! When we spec'd this project, we were told that it is possible to stream 7 different digital audio selections. Well, being that we have 14,000 songs loaded into the network drive, we are only including a cable box for the anolog streams. When we prewired, we ran 1cat5 and one shielded pair to every MTS. In its current configuration, we only have 3 MTS running off the C4 amp but the rest are plugged into an Elan D1200.

Things may change a little on this project but we are hoping to get those 7 streams! I'll let the forum know once we finish it and do some late night testing...the docs ask too many questions

OK. So digital audio via ethernet to MTS, then back to amp as line level. Is that right? Sounds straight forward enough to me. Bind the audio out of the MTS to the amplifier. The only limitation I can think of is that the audio source from the MTS that will be connected to the C4 amp will only be available to those zones and likewise with the Elan.

Why do you have an Elan in the mix by the way?

Good question! I asked my boss and .."because we had one and I wanted to get rid of it." It works out well though, in 2 rooms we added an ipod L/R audio jack and put these to the elan. This way there is no fuss. The docs can bring any ipod/source in and the room will work using the ipod volume.

As per the limitations, they aren't a bad thing. We plan to pump cable audio into waiting rooms and such. Waiting rooms don't need playlists.

The Audio jacks from the MC are analog, these are not streams, what may be best is to use some small local amps between the MTP and Speakers.

21 panels and 7 streams is still a problem, there may be better way to deal with this .

• 2 weeks later...

Chambrick, you are correct sir. We kinda' rigged the system a little. We are sending audio to 40 something rooms. So we take the stereo out of the analog sources y them to mono and then split them to the amps. It works like a champ the the quality of the sound is good. Each room has its choice of 6 sources (XM1, XM2, XM3, AM/FM1, AM/FM2, MP3). More that enough for a doctor's office. When the staff is comfortable with the system and the SDK is released we might go back to clean up the UI, but for now custom buttons and programming does the trick.

Archived