C4 Forums | Control4

Move over HDMI, new A/V Cable Standard

bsanf3

Interesting stuff. But JAP is video over IP over Ethernet, right? This doesn't sound like necessarily using IP, just using Cat-6 as the physical medium. What the medium carries (the Data Link and Network layers in OSI-speak) could be something else which is not compatible with Ethernet or IP.

Awesome, I wonder what the difference between using cat5e and cat6 will be. Seems a bit strange to me that they can use the same wire used for standard ethernet to send power+100mpbs data+video.

Awesome, I wonder what the difference between using cat5e and cat6 will be. Seems a bit strange to me that they can use the same wire used for standard ethernet to send power+100mpbs data+video.

POE sends power and data over Cat-5/6. Video is after all just data, all 1's and 0's.

My AT&T U-verse down here sends video over 100Mbps Ethernet from the DSL modem to the DVR. I haven't dug into the technical details but I think it can send 4 HD channels (could be wrong). And that's not even over Gigabit Ethernet. That also means there are four extra wires in the Cat5 that can be used for other things like power.

Of course the AT&T compression sucks big time compared to DirecTV. It's barely HD quality on most channels if there's much motion. I retract that -- if there's much motion, it's NOT HD at all. I don't know if that's because 100Mbps doesn't provide enough bandwidth or if they just have a crappy implementation.

Awesome' date=' I wonder what the difference between using cat5e and cat6 will be. Seems a bit strange to me that they can use the same wire used for standard ethernet to send power+100mpbs data+video.[/quote']

POE sends power and data over Cat-5/6. Video is after all just data, all 1's and 0's.

The question is if it is claiming it can do all at the same time or alternate between them. Ethernet takes 3 wire pairs from what I understand and PoE takes all 4, correct? If it was that easy to send 1080p video and digital audio over a cat5e then I would have figured it would have been done long ago. Just sounds too good to be true.

Eaglemoon - Yeah I mean I dont really consider Comcast or most of the cable companies as providing "HD" when you can see pixelation in virtually all of their video. There really is no comparison between DISH/DirectTV/FIOS and the cable companies.

EDITED: 4 pairs for cat5e not 5.

akg4y, there are only 4 pairs, not 5. Ethernet takes two pair, unless it's gigabit. If it is gigabit I believe it takes three. PoE takes three as well, I believe.

I am sure someone more knowledgeable can chime in here and confirm...I'm not much of a network guy.

From what I just looked up it looks like youre right, 2 pairs for 100mbps (one send one receive), not sure if it is 3 or 4 for gigabit.

Yeah, in my office at home I have 10/100 ethernet, a phone line and a fax line over one single CAT5E.

Archived