C4 Forums | Control4

Ripping CD's

danlevine

I always use windows media player and set to rip at 320kps. It takes a few minutes each one and clocks in the info on tracks, etc. Then I bulk transfer to the MC.

Most of the time I set-up media player with the proper settings and get the customer to rip all their tunes, then show them how to use Composer media edition to transfer their tunes. Saves me grief and time and gets them into it at the same time.

I can't bring myself to listen to anything under 320kps (MC rips at 192kps)

Jamman

Sorry Taylor, but what do you mean? All the customer needs is a pc with media player10 (free download) and composer media edition loaded on the pc and bingo.. Am I missing something?

Jamman

Tech support told me the reason it's so slow is that it rips it in native format and then writes it as whatever. I don't know the accuracy of that, but if it were true a faster CD I think would be negligable.

corbin, that adds to the reason why it would be difficult to update the box. So it rips to native format (probably wav - CPU intensive, I believe) and then converts to mp3 (definitely CPU intensive). Just to put things into perspective, CPU's of that caliber are used in Handheld devices (think treo). Try ripping CDs on a treo, and you'll get a pretty decent comparison as to what's happening behind the scenes. Again, are not able to easily upgrade the CPU, making the process painfully irreparable until the (hopefully) next generation of the MC.

Andy

That does work for most of our clients (although 3 so far have been mac users!Uck) But for the non-computer saavy ones who like to just put in a CD and be done with it the cd rip is the way to go.

Hey Taylor, Mac users are not UCK!

Archived