C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 Media Player (C4-MP1-E) versus AppletTV

jandkod

The media player doesnt control your DVD changer. It plays back video files stored on a network share.

From the direction of everyone's discussion, I suspected that... the product description on the C4 website doesn't say you need to burn anything - it just says that it can organize your DVDs and BRs.

So, without breaking the law, how do I rip DVDs or BRs? (don't answer that!)

Ok, so the 777ES is out of the question, but I saw on C4Central a video that linked to a Sony BDP-CX7000ES video that showed the C4 system controlling the mega changer, and that the changer was "C4 certified". (http://www.youtube.com/control4fans#p/u/6/sxE7lCryMHE)

Anyone have any insight on how to accomplish that?

Thanks!

So, without breaking the law, how do I rip DVDs or BRs? (don't answer that!)

Some of the studios have decided to join the 21st Century and are now offering digital files along with the DVD/Blu Ray purchase.

either by going on line with a code from the disc

http://www.wbdigitalcopy.com/home/#/Home

or, actually inserting another disc that comes with the movie

http://www.foxconnect.com/digital-copy.html

Ok. It might not be full Blu Ray quality, but it's as good or better than DVD. And way better quality than Apple's online offering. The Fox ones load straight into itunes which is interesting :cool:

They are digitally protected, so I'm not sure if the C4 mediaplayer will stream them, but in any case, the cat is out of the bag on all this. IMHO, with time all video will come together (just like it did with digital music a couple of years back)

These two studios are to be applauded. IMHO, progress on this issue is now inevitable. Others will be forced to follow. Within the next few years I would predict all movie DVD's and Blu Ray discs will be sold with a digital copy. It just makes plain common sense. :)

The 777 should not be "out of the question", I have a system running a 777, a media player and a sony 7000, it is a seamless interface.

Brent

Ok, do you mind if I pick your brain (or, rather, your system components)?

I have a 777 front ended by a fireball, which I presume would not be useful in a modern distribution system.

I want to send video from several sources to four or 5 locations, which I think means I'm after an HD video switch or multiplexer.

My video inputs:

The video out from the HC300 for menuing

PS3 for gaming (only going to my projector screen) HDMI

777 for DVDs component out

7000 (soon) for HD content - HDMI out

HD satellite using a component out (long story on that one - just think Starchoice and "DVI fiasco" and you'll know what I mean)

AppleTV - HDMI out

My Video outputs:

Projector screen in the basement HT (currently only 720P/1080i, but upgrading soon) has HDMI and component inputs (1 and 2, respectively)

Master bedroom (2nd flr) 46" Plasma 1080P

Children's bedroom (2nd flr) 27" LCD 1080P (also duals as a monitor for a MacMini)

42" 1080P plasma in the Den (also has another AppleTV)

Audio Zones:

Kitchen (ceiling speakers, can be analog)

Dining Room (Ceiling speakers, can be analog)

Master bedroom (using Speakercraft Time motorized 5.1 surround in-ceiling speakers with in-wall sub - should be digital)

Basement Home Theatre (I want to use my AV Receiver for audio there to drive the big speakers - definitely digital)

Den - 2 small Paradigm Bookshelf speakers currently used with an old amp for sound for the 42" plasma - can be analog

My goals:

To view DVD and BR video in any of the four rooms at the same time (Or just one can view a dvd, one can view a BR)

To view Satellite in any of the four rooms at the same time (I know, I'll need 4 Sat receivers to do this - I just don't want them in the same room as the tvs.)

Anyone can view the ATV

PS3 only used in basement HT

Audio from a large itunes (300GB+) library available anywhere

Rhapsody anywhere (easy)

Radio tuner anywhere (easy)

The C4 components I think I need:

HC300

4 zone amp

3.5" touch pad with back box

7" touchpad with back box

various lighting switches

thermostat

iphone remote license

ipad remote license

Non-C4 stuff I think I may need:

video matrix switch

Cat 6 everywhere

A nice managed POE 24-port Gig-E switch with VLAN capability and RIP routing

Possibly some video/audio baluns for running video and audio to second floor?

What else?

So please give me a summary, what are the Control4 Media Player's capabilities with blu-ray files with 2.0? I could care less about the menu features, but I do have a few blu-ray discs that I'd like to be able to convert to digital format and stream with this device...

Archived