C4 Forums | Control4

College Education

CardinalSystemsInc

• 2 months later...

I would go for an electrical engineering degree. The MBA would be good to have, but the electrical engineering background would help you to really understand and disect the high end equipment. The comp Sci degree would just help you to understand programing which you can pickup with electives.

No way EE would be needed to understand enough to do this stuff.

Build this kind of stuff, sure. Install and program it, no.

CS+Business, I'd think would be most relevant, although still probably overkill.

More important would be a a burning love of Home Theater and Automation, with experience working with existing dealers.

RyanE

• 1 month later...

Also schools like ITT have a structured wiring program. If you are going to be doing actual installs, that would be beneficial. If you are getting forced to go to college or otherwise are just committed to the concept and want to plan ahead, major in business and take marketing courses as well. If you just want to "know the stuff," take the Cedia boot camps and follow up courses as Dan suggested and you'll be set.

• 2 years later...

Actually the best Tech I had was an EE from UCLA. He got a summer job with an A/V company when he was in college and fell in love with it. Once he graduated he just continued with the field and never looked back. I think the 4-year college degree in general really helps with the work ethic. Many of my hourlies spend more time trying to cheat the system than work within it.

Archived