C4 Forums | Control4

Dell Plasma/LCD Displays - video sense?

AS2

we are working with some client provided Dell Plasma TV's on an install. They aren't the best, to say the least, and have virtually not control. Toggle on/off IR only. (yes, remote central has discrete codes for them, no, they don't work).

I was messing with the idea of video sense for the on/off from the TV because it DOES have a composite video output. Has anyone used the video sense enabled tv driver to ensure the power status of a display? Does it work?

AS2

rmac, so you just write the driver as a toggle on/off and choose 'use video sense' and hook up the TV output to the HTC video sense1? is there any other trick to look out for?

the system turns the display on/off correctly now, but i want to ensure it never gets 'off track'

initially, i added custom buttons for 'tv on' and 'tv off' but that confused the customer, it's best to keep this simple.

On the video sense note:

Does anyone use video sensing of a DVD player to turn that source on when someone opens the DVD tray? It seems straight forward to program but don't want to hear if it works consistently.

Archived