C4 Forums | Control4

A question about mounting a unix "share"

wappinghigh

The Dune 3.0 Base is linux based.

For several weeks I had no problems mounting the Dune's internal HDD as a share within OSX using samba ie entering the command smb://192.168.0.x into safari

Now for some unknown random reason I can't do this. Whilst connecting to the share, I get the message: Connection Failed You do not have permission to access the server "192.168.0.x"

I can still "see" the Dune on the network using an IP scanner. I just for the life of me can't work out why I can't mount the Dune's HDD anymore (it's formatted using Linux Ext3)

Would one of the forum's learned friends be able to provide some possible reasons why this might be now happening? And how this could be fixed? Thx :)

The Dune 3.0 Base is linux based.

For several weeks I had no problems mounting the Dune's internal HDD as a share within OSX using samba ie entering the command smb://192.168.0.x into safari

Now for some unknown random reason I can't do this. Whilst connecting to the share, I get the message: Connection Failed You do not have permission to access the server "192.168.0.x"

I can still "see" the Dune on the network using an IP scanner. I just for the life of me can't work out why I can't mount the Dune's HDD anymore (it's formatted using Linux Ext3)

Would one of the forum's learned friends be able to provide some possible reasons why this might be now happening? And how this could be fixed? Thx :)

There have been some changes in OSX relative to SMB mounts hosted on linux servers. I found there are some variations of the mount command that work now and others that used to but don't now.

Try: smb://user@server.yourdomainorip.com/sharename

where user is your userid and mountpoint is the share name. If it's an open share just omit the user@.

Thx for the clues! Really appreciate it. I don't know what the sharename is. How do I find this?

What was previously very simple has now become real complicated :rolleyes:

I'm still not convinced it's not a network problem...I can't even use finder to browse to the share as it isn't showing up.

..if all else fails, I suppose I can pull out the Dune HDD and physically mount it in an external drive, but this is a lot less convenient....curse this network stuff!!

wap - there was DEFINITELY a change in the Apple smb support as it relates to link smb hosted mount points - recently ! A windows box on your local network or Apple go - network and specifying the ip should bring up the mount point list on the dune.

Dgb...thanks for the tireless help on all this. I tracked the problem down to the Dune and a network "flood". This had been picked up by my antiviral software (Virus Barrier) as a vandal attack, which blocked the Dune's LAN IP address. Now where was that single 48 port switch again...:rolleyes:

Archived