C4 Forums | Control4

We need an official control4 video switch similar to the audio switch!

jwhitaker

wow - this is a good use of the word 'loser'.

you build it loser

Notice the lack of punctuation, as if to say 'only a loser uses commas'. This is one fifth grader with an ax to grind. What is so striking about this post is how hurtful it is on so many levels. To begin with, a complete stranger called you a loser. That is trumped only by the fact that he didn't seem to like your idea of a video switch. Finally, he mockingly suggests that 'you build it' as if you make A/V components - as if!

• 1 year later...

GoGo - Your comment about the neothings video switcher is the first I've heard of the product. Do you know how it compares to the key digital fat boy component video switcher? Also, does control4 already have a driver for the nething or did you have to write one yourself?

thanks,

tum

GoGo - Your comment about the neothings video switcher is the first I've heard of the product. Do you know how it compares to the key digital fat boy component video switcher? Also, does control4 already have a driver for the nething or did you have to write one yourself?

thanks,

tum

Hi,

I do not not kow how it compares to either of the switches that you mention as I have not tried either one. I selected the Neo Things switch because I had experience working with their product before. They were installed in a music studio where I did some recordings and they worked flawlessly. Here is what I liked about them and why I chose them ( I have the Avalon).

1) No moving parts - The front panel is glass and is a touch panel. Flat and Smooth

2) Construction - VERY solid construction

3) HD and Digital Audio in and out. Note that there is no analog audio or video in. Since I run all audio over optical this is not a issue for me. All video in is Component which I run to a scaler which connects to the TV via HDMI.

The other reason I decided to choose the Avalon by NeoThings was the fact that 1) It was built in the US. I believe most of the parts are also manufactured in the US 2) They were somewhat local. Im in OC and they are in San Diego and 3) It's a small company. I TRY, and I STRESS TRY, to buy from US companies whos products are made in the U.S., especially small companies who have a GREAT product, that solid and reliable. I like to give the little guy a chance. There are ALOT of great products out there made in the US by small companies. Products that are better, much better, then the name brands.

On a side note - I have the NeoThings Avalon in a audio rack. On day I was adding some gear and when I pushed the Avalon back into the rack I pushed it in the wrong way and the back Audio out for Zone 1 hit the rack post and snapped off (I have VERY thick digital audio cables with some CHUNKY aluminum connectors at the end). Let me tell you I was sooooo mad at myself. Well, I called NeoThings, told them what happened and how it was my fault and asked what could be done. Now get this, they said if I shipped it back they would fix it for free. Yes the product was still under warranty but I actually broke it. I said to the guy on the other end of the phone that since this product controls our entire system I can not be with out it. I asked if I could bring it down, since they are in San Diego which is not to far from me. He said sure. I take it down the next day and they fix it. They let me watch, I love to see how things work, and gave me a tour of their entire operations. Towards the end I asked who the owner was and if he was there. They guy that was fixing my Avalon and that gave me the tour was the owner. I thought to myself, WOW this is why I try to buy local.

A few weeks later when I was having C4 installed I called NeoThings back and again I got the owner. I asked him if he had a driver for C4 he said no BUT that he has been working with C4 programmers and that they have been working on a driver. He said "have your installer contact C4 and ask for the driver." He also stated "C4 has the driver so if they say no ask to speak to a programmer." At any rate if you have seen my previous posts about my C4 install you will know that I was able to get a hold of composer and I did most of the programming myself. Since I am NOT a dealer I do not have access to any dealer forums or dealer support and because of that I could not call and ask for the driver. I ended up creating one which was no biggie.

I hope this answers your question(s). I know I rambled on . .Sorry.

GoGo D.

good info - thanks. the neothings product is a heck of a lot cheaper than the key digital and knox matrix switcher. in addition to the avalon, their website shows a second model with analog audio outputs.

tum

good info - thanks. the neothings product is a heck of a lot cheaper than the key digital and knox matrix switcher. in addition to the avalon, their website shows a second model with analog audio outputs.

tum

Yes. The second product is the Borrego. It loses the Toslink optical and keeps the Digital audio (SPDIF coax) and adds the Left and Right analog audio.

Hope that helps.

GoGo ! !

"Hey, it wasn't me . . .I'm just a victim of fun!"

• 1 year later...
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but how much does the Neothings Avalon 8x4 cost?

It's I believe it's about $1000ish +/- a $100 or so. I was down at the factory again about 4 weeks ago and was talking to the owner. He said they are working on one that is controlled via IP.

• 1 month later...

couple of things. While there isn't a C4 "switcher" branded with the Control4 logo, they have partnered with avocation and are in talks with neothings. I personally think neothings make some of the best looking/working switchers around. So while you may not have a C4 switcher, you will def' have a great choice of directly supported ones from third parties. Hope that helps.

you build it loser

Is that really called for? I think he is 100% correct!! Why bash him? .........................so immature!

I use a http://www.shinybowusa.com/shop/ but I bought mine off ebay from a dealer, for like $1,000 and it works GREAT!! Even HD!!!

Also..........look here!! http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=1407

Scott

Well Ive got someone making me a custom 8x12 component video, digital coax, stereo audio AV switch for about 1k and its an Autopatch so there are drivers for it so I was just trying to figure out if there is something else the Borrega does for me. All of my equipment is hidden away so the sweet look of the Borrega would be wasted :)

Hello all,

My company, Video Storm LLC, is a control4 partner and we manufacture (in the USA) an excellent line of video / audio matrix switches. We also have C4 systems in house and have developed full functionality 2way LUA drivers for our CMX line. We have several unique features such as toslink audio and integrated volume control. Our dealer margins are excellent, and our technical support is best in class (work directly with designers). Just google "videostorm" and you'll find us :)

Hello all,

My company, Video Storm LLC, is a control4 partner and we manufacture (in the USA) an excellent line of video / audio matrix switches. We also have C4 systems in house and have developed full functionality 2way LUA drivers for our CMX line. We have several unique features such as toslink audio and integrated volume control. Our dealer margins are excellent, and our technical support is best in class (work directly with designers). Just google "videostorm" and you'll find us :)

Can you send me an email and dealer setup?

Archived