C4 Forums | Control4

speaker amps directly in the mini-touch

sfleck

boy, i would REALLY like to see speaker terminals on the back of a mini-touch.

could you imagine being able to place the MT in the wall, run some CAT5 back to the MC and some speaker wire up to some inwalls or ceiling speakers? .... NO amp required. NO speaker wire running back to the closet. nice and neat. like an ABUS system but with much more power and better sound.

trying to chase down some reasonably priced self-amped speakers is impossible yet.

how are others doing this kind of setup now?

that's the sonos approach - the amp is integrated in the unit! problem is, you're stuck in the wall when the amp goes down. not to mention neither Sonos or C4 have much expirience making amplifiers. powered speakers are good idea, but then you need BX to each one. i guess you pick your poison.

Best solution out there but probably the most expensive is Netstreams Digilinx system. Simply brilliant (said like the beer commercial).

Their Musica line is also great. It's got RS232 communication for it as well.

I was just in a house we did a couple of years ago with a Musica system, HAI, and CorAccess touch panel. It's solid but man it seems so dark ages compared to now. Netstreams is still something we sell. As a matter of fact a house we're working on now originally had a Digilinx spec'd in but since I was impressed enough with C4's road show presentation and what I'd hear "on the street" I switch to all C4 to keep the interface consistent throughout the house. ...very dissappointed with C4's interface but think in the next few months it will be much improved.

sfleck are you asking because you've got a house that is wired like that or would you just like a setup like that for a particular purpose? The nice part about distributed amplification is the need for less power due to a much shorter distance.

• 7 months later...

I really like the idea of running the speaker wire to the MT and then CAT5 back to the MC. This is how GreyFox does their system (no flaming please). It is so much simpler to run wire this way.

Does anyone know of a workaround for homes that are already wired like this?

Archived