C4 Forums | Control4

hardware media player: Netgear 550 vs wd tv live

beehouse

why is having cover art important. is it just for the cool feature when choosing your movie. for me it is more so the ease of use. My C4 media player that i have now sucks since i cannot fast forward or rewind (beyond x2).

For a lot of people, having to teach significant others, children, or other family how to use two different interfaces can be challenging.

WD HD TV Live is a great device. I've got the custom firmware which works great and for me it adds custom movie sheets. It's limitations are that it will not do DVD BD menus. With the custom firmware, it will not do DVD menus. It also will not do true HD audio....

That's why I have pre-ordered the NEO TV 550. I am hopeful it will do everything, however i'm not certain it will do PANDORA. Worst case scenario though, I will use the WD for Pandora streaming and the NEO TV for the other functions!

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with the WD TV live, but it may be worthwhile to wait before buying and check out the reviews of the NEO TV when everybody finally gets one.

it seems funny that such an important part of home media is not being addressed by C4. Why do we have to test all these aftermarket media devices, and make due. Perhaps Ryan would like to address this.

thanks all for the comments.

For the price I think i'm going to get 2 of the WD HD TV and wait for other opinions and testing of the 550

it seems funny that such an important part of home media is not being addressed by C4. Why do we have to test all these aftermarket media devices, and make due. Perhaps Ryan would like to address this.

For the price I think i'm going to get 2 of the WD HD TV and wait for other opinions and testing of the 550

There was a good demo, imo, of the 550 today. Maybe someone who saw it could chime in on their opinion. Additionally, a few more people on the forums will be happy owners of 550s as well when the ups man comes :)

Although i personally don't own one, I have a friend who has the WD TV Hub...He love's it. He tells me in comparison to the WD HD TV live, it has a much better user interface and out of the box does DVD menus. You might consider the hub over the wd hd tv live or live plus.

codeman i saw the post on the 550. http://havetheknowhow.com/Hardware-revi … r-Art.html

I'll tell you it looks so complicated. all those attatchments so you can link cover art with the movie.

personally I'm sure after you have done a few it would be second nature, but im not sure.

How easy is it????

That link is broken but I think that's for using coverart on the NeoTV itself?

If so, i havent done that particular part yet, since I primarily use it with the C4 interface. Doing it this way is pretty straightforward.

Archived