C4 Forums | Control4

Do's

Taylor

Here is a list of good things to remember to DO when using Control 4. Please, submit your own experiences here, and I'll constantly update this first post. Hopefully the list will get longer and more detailed as more and more people post their experiences.

#1. DO back up your project after every major change.

*It is not worth the wasting valuable time when something bad happens. If you constantly backup your stuff, your project is immune to any equiptment error. Bad HTC? No problem, I have been backing up my project since I started! Be sure to save your media too, especially if you have edited channels. (I.E. You customize the Direct TV Package) Re-scanning or searching takes time that you don't need to spend. Also, it's a good idea to save each major change as something else. You may try something new that gets rid of a bunch of Agents you just programmed. If it doesn't work out, don't spend 2 hours replacing your programming. Before you try something new, save a file called *JobName* 12-31-05 v1.c4p or something to that nature.

#2. DO export your IR/Serial drivers each time you make significant changes.

*You want to have an up to date driver database in your computer. C4 currently does not automatically sync your IR/Serial drivers with your computer and a director (Media controller/HTC). When you leave a project, after the time you have spent fixing repeat counts, changing inputs, and adding IR commands, you will want that in your computer so you can put it in your next project without having to mess with anything.

#3. DO keep your IR/Serial drivers CLEAN.

*Make sure to be specefic in each version of a driver you make. If you try something new for a driver, label it NEC Plasma 50" TRIAL or V(version)1. It is not worth wasting time trying to remember which date your correct driver version was last changed. If you don't use a certain driver anymore (meaning you made a better version of the same model) delete it! You can see your drivers in this directory: \Program Files\Control4\Composer\Drivers\ delete any files you don't need anymore. Organization is key to being efficient.

#4. DO - Take a screen shot of a connection diagram before you replace a component.

Alt Print Screen and then pasting it into a Word File will make the process that much better.

#5. DO - Set at least 1 static IP for your main director outside of the scope of the DHCP Server IP Address.

This way, if the router reboots and assigns new ip addresses to everything, the slave devices (htc, touch screens, 10.5, pretty much everything) will automatically connect to the master without you having to press connect.

#6. DO - Enable Remote access before you leave the Install. Preferably the first day.

#7. DO - Save all remote controls in a box and keep them aside for the future.

#8. DO - Write down IP addresses / Wep Codes / SSIDs of anything you can think of.

#9. DO - Put the Media Controller, and Possibly the Home Theater Controllers, and Mini Touch Screens on a UPS.

Most importantly put your router/switchers on UPS. They are more important to keep running than the MC and C4 system, as they retain the IP addresses of all the products.

#10. DO glue on your IR Bugs!

Good practice to always glue on your IR bugs (especially the ones that come with C4 products). This will save you hour long calls to a house where the system no longer "works" when the client presses the button. A good choice of glue is hot glue. You can get cordless hot glue guns for pretty cheap ($8.00 at Wal Mart). This glue works better than silicon because it dries instantly.

#11. DO call tech support IMMEDIATELY if you have any issues. ~NEW

Don't waste time trying to re-invent the wheel. If it's a problem you are having, most likely someone else has had it too. Call tech support and they will walk you through your problems. TIP: The earlier in the day you call the better. It seems like less of a wait time if you call earlier.

#12. DO update and test your equiptment before you go to a job site. ~NEW

Great way to make sure you don't look like a fool when you take in your equpitment to a job. Have as much done as possible back at your office before you take it. Work out as many bugs as you can test in your own place.

Thanks to Dan and All Wired Up! for adding to the list.

Do plan your project out ahead of time on paper.

...so when you're creating the desing there's as few delete's/re-adds as possible so as to keep the project as "clean" as possible. How many hours have we all wasted on something that just needed to be deleted and re-added (again).

Do check your drivers for all proper Inputs/Outputs

...this way you don't have to waste time getting things almost complete and the find out the driver was missing the all important I/O you needed and therefore you have to delete the driver, edit it with the manager, then add it again and redo all of the connections

Do get as much media burned via your PC rather than count on the media controller

...and get as much of that music added to the media controller as possible BEFORE going onsite

• 1 year later...

I have found the best glue solution is Shoe Goo. You can buy it in the shoe dept at your local wal-mart. It can be removed and leaves no residue or damage to plastic. Sets up very quickly. Miracle product. I keep it at the house for household repairs also.

• 5 years later...

I could not agree more with chambrick, write out on paper everything you want to do before you start installing. If you are working with a good programmer they can take that info and program your system from it in half the time of you trying to build it as you go.

Archived