C4 Forums | Control4

Thermostat Programming

therodog

So I want to do something, but I'm not sure if it'll work, and I'm curious about your opinions.

I have 2 C4 thermostats. The temperature reflected by those thermostats does not always reflect temperatures in other areas of the house. I'll use the media room as an example. Sometimes because of the lighting and equipment in the media room AND it being a gathering place for people, it gets warmer than the rest of that level of the house. So if the thermostat reads 75, maybe it's closer to 80 in that room, as an example.

Could I place a Card Access contact sensor in that room and use the temperature read by the contact sensor as the temperature used by the thermostat? I think the programming trick would be to make the value of the contact senor temperature variable the value of the thermostat variable, but I'm curious if you this could be done or not.

Unfortunately, no you can not use any 'external temperature sensor' with the thermostat other than an industry standard 10K sensor. It has to be hard wired to the thermostat's 'external sensor' contacts.

The main reason behind it is that the ZigBee radio isn't always on for the thermostat, especially when operating in power stealing, etc., because it is trying to use the least amount of power possible, so the many times it checks temperature, it only has to check it's on-board or external thermistor, as opposed to firing up the ZigBee radio to check in with a 3rd-party device.

Sorry.

RyanE

To make sure I understand what you're trying to achieve: do you want the set point of the existing thermostat to be adjusted based on the temperature reading of the Card Access device? If so, the programming is easy.

So I want to do something, but I'm not sure if it'll work, and I'm curious about your opinions.

I have 2 C4 thermostats. The temperature reflected by those thermostats does not always reflect temperatures in other areas of the house. I'll use the media room as an example. Sometimes because of the lighting and equipment in the media room AND it being a gathering place for people, it gets warmer than the rest of that level of the house. So if the thermostat reads 75, maybe it's closer to 80 in that room, as an example.

Could I place a Card Access contact sensor in that room and use the temperature read by the contact sensor as the temperature used by the thermostat? I think the programming trick would be to make the value of the contact senor temperature variable the value of the thermostat variable, but I'm curious if you this could be done or not.

Archived