C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 partners with SubZero and Wolf

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/control4-partners-with-sub-zero-and-wolf-112931659.html

LAS VEGAS, Jan. 5, 2011 /PRNewswire - CES 2011 – January 6-9, 2011 – LVCC South 21407 -- a leader in affordable IP-based control and entertainment systems, today announced its partnership with Sub-Zero, Inc. and Wolf Appliance, Inc., industry leaders in premium refrigeration and cooking appliances.

Control4 collaborates with third-party manufacturers to design products that integrate with the Control4® platform. Through this new partnership, Sub-Zero® refrigerators, Wolf® ovens, and Sub-Zero® wine storage units can be integrated into Control4 networks, resulting in unprecedented benefits from being able to manage appliances through a Control4 system.

"The connected home isn't just about consumer electronics gadgets — every appliance and service should be easily accessed and managed through any touch point in the house. There is no better example of this new reality than this partnership," stated Control4's CEO Will West.

In a Control4 digital home, eco-conscious homeowners can program Sub-Zero freezers and refrigerators to maximize energy efficiency by automatically setting ice-making production and other energy-intensive functions to lower levels at different times of the day. Homeowners can also automatically adjust settings to accommodate specific lifestyle needs, such as increasing ice production prior to entertaining large numbers of guests. Users also have the option to receive alerts that allow them to manage and monitor energy usage. For the first time, homeowners can send energy deferral requests or general service requests through their Control4 system directly to Sub-Zero and Wolf.

"Sub-Zero and Wolf products are known for their cutting-edge design and performance," said Michele Bedard, Vice President, Marketing for Sub-Zero and Wolf. "This partnership is another extension of our capabilities that allows us to fit into the lifestyle of our customer and do our part to be even more energy efficient."

When integrating select Wolf products into their Control4 system, homeowners can be notified when pre-heat is complete, view the current oven temperature, receive alerts when the timer is almost finished, and access meat temperature from the internal meat thermometer.

With the Control4 platform, Sub-Zero wine storage unit owners can monitor their unit's door status and even receive-mail or text message alerts when a door opens or closes. Since temperature and humidity are critical elements to storing the perfect bottle of wine, collectors are assured that their wine unit door has been properly shut and air is not entering or exiting. These alerts also provide a new level of monitoring should anyone enter the wine unit without permission.

Examples of Sub-Zero and Wolf's integration with the Control4 platform will be on display in the Control4 booth during the CES 2011 show. For more information on Sub-Zero and Wolf products, please visit www.subzero.com or www.wolfappliance.com. For more information on Control4, please visit www.control4.com.

I do just fine managing my ice maker. I turn it on one day before a party and turn it turns off automatically when it's full. I've always wanted to monitor my meat with my Droid...

Anyways, thanks for the post Cody!

Obvious jokes aside, I think it's good news regarding manufacturers taking an interest to integrating with Control4. This isn't something that could have been accomplished prior to 2.0 I don't think, and is an indicator of how the platform is expanding. It wasn't too long ago that simply getting weather information was more complicated than it needed to be.

The interest is good, yeah. What might not be so good is extra horsepower needed for all this minor tasking. Think of it in terms of email. At first, it was great- no more stamps or waiting around for messages. Now, most people get spammed to death and spend more time deleting than reading.

You're in the business, I'm not. Just saying...

The interest is good, yeah. What might not be so good is extra horsepower needed for all this minor tasking. Think of it in terms of email. At first, it was great- no more stamps or waiting around for messages. Now, most people get spammed to death and spend more time deleting than reading.

You're in the business, I'm not. Just saying...

I don't think the driver will be forced on anyone and you can pick and choose what you want to integrate - if you don't have it integrated it wont bother you. If you do and your system is appropriately configured it may not be an issue. Thinking of it in terms of email - I use Gmail for my personal account and don't get much spam in my inbox, I can't say the same for any of the other services I've used. And the "spam" I do get is probably because I *opted in* to something like a newsletter :)

I certainly wish I'd been *spammed* by my fridge when it stopped making ice 3 weeks ago. Turned out the icemaker fill tube had frozen and popped out of the back of the fridge (3-4 years old). It had been running water down the back of the fridge, onto the wood floor, and then down to the basement for who knows how long...

RyanE

I certainly wish I'd been *spammed* by my fridge when it stopped making ice 3 weeks ago. Turned out the icemaker fill tube had frozen and popped out of the back of the fridge (3-4 years old). It had been running water down the back of the fridge, onto the wood floor, and then down to the basement for who knows how long...

RyanE

Water leak sensor at back of the fridge coupled with a shut off valve and email notification might have saved you some water damage repairs.

Water leak sensor at back of the fridge coupled with a shut off valve and email notification might have saved you some water damage repairs.

Yep. I have even considered the same, but there's only so many hours in the day.

RyanE

if anyone can get pics of the software, I'd love to see it. I just happened to open up my sub zero grill the other day and noticed a data port so I'm hoping my units are compatible. For me, getting a txt message that the fridge door or wine door was left open would be nice. Seeing the energy usage of the fridges would also educate the family.

thx,

tum

The oven is actually pretty cool, what you can do. I just got my sub zero fridge 3 days ago, noticed it has the port :)....but it is at the top of the fridge compartment, not the bottom. Bottom would have been best to go through the floor to the basement where all my stuff is

Thanks

Dave

That's not actually an Ethernet port, right? Isn't it actually just an RJ-45 jack supporting an RS-232 serial port? You can't (shouldn't) connect it to your LAN switch and expect it to work.

For years, Sub-Zero has built serial ports into these major appliances, primarily for diagnostic purposes.

To enable communications with Control4, all that is needed is a serial-to-ZigBee adapter, available from CardAccess, and a bit of software.

I'm a network geek: Ethernet is a collection of standards for both the physical and data-link layers of a particular type of local-area network. The typical jack you see for the common twisted-pair Ethernet medium is an RJ-45, one of several types of physical connections used in Ethernets. Fiber is another type; so is coax, but that's become rare. However, an RJ-45 8-pin jack can be used for all kinds of things besides Ethernet.

If you read the blulb, the dude explained that they have had serial comm ports for awhile and just thought it made sense to jump on the Zigbee bandwagon (with, of all things, a Card Access protocol converter). The only thing I see them doing is capitalizing off of the success of Control4 :) Not a bad thing, right?

If you read the blulb, the dude explained that they have had serial comm ports for awhile and just thought it made sense to jump on the Zigbee bandwagon (with, of all things, a Card Access protocol converter). The only thing I see them doing is capitalizing off of the success of Control4 :) Not a bad thing, right?

I guess reading the entire article helps ;) Sounds cool

Archived