C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 MyHome announcement

Hopefully every device won't have to be identified by a dealer in Composer Pro. Hopefully you can just launch the app' date=' enter your my.control4.com login info and you're off to the races.[/quote']

Your dealer will still have to load a driver and identify it with the new product, every time a customer wants to add one of these to their project.

So the $499 isn't where it stops. Every time I add or remove a device it is going to cost me more? Are you kidding me?

Yep it seems C4 considers all C4 users to have infinite amounts of cash and can fork over $$'s at a whim.

Edit: At a second glance I understand that iPads and iPhones are possibly causing C4 to lose sales of their touch screen devices due to the lower pricing of iPad and iPhone devices as portable controllers. And this is a good deal if you have 5 or more 'I" devices or pc/mac computers you want to use in your project, but it just smacks as an over priced option. But, if I read it right, to take a single license that was once $299, and then lower it to $99, and then up it to $199 ... hmmmm

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But, if I read it right, to take a single license that was once $299, and then lower it to $99, and then up it to $199 ... hmmmm

The $199 increase is a push for $499 site licence. They figure most people might still stick with individual licence at $99 but if price change to double $199 it might force your hand to do the $499.

The $499 is reasonable but I'd would have rather they left the $99 where it was and give people a REAL choice.

Would there be a day that this apps are just added value for having a control4 system like Sonos, etc

At the very least they should give the early adapters some sort of credit against the $499 site licence it just bites from $299 --> $99 ----> $199. Give em a break.

In any case it seems to me that it will be money that I will be forking out once I jump to 2.0. I'd still say it is going in the right direction nonetheless.

Your dealer will still have to load a driver and identify it with the new product' date=' every time a customer wants to add one of these to their project.[/quote']

So the $499 isn't where it stops. Every time I add or remove a device it is going to cost me more? Are you kidding me?

Yep it seems C4 considers all C4 users to have infinite amounts of cash and can fork over $$'s at a whim.

You don't? I've got a big dusty box of cash here I can send your way I you'll put it to better use...

You don't? I've got a big dusty box of cash here I can send your way I you'll put it to better use...

And I'll bet the box stinks of rich mahogany and fine leather.

And I'll bet the box stinks of rich mahogany and fine leather.

60% of the time, it works every time.

hostile takeover (or take away, is more like it)

http://www.controlui.com/

"In October 2010, Control4 acquired the IP related to Control UI's My House for iPhone & My Home for iPad apps. Consumers can contact Control4 by sending questions via email to mobilenav-support@control4.com. Dealers with questions need only call the Control4 Support Center."

Joking, Ryan.

It was a joke.

I'm actually happy to see that the progress ControlUI made with the apps prompted Control4 to take this aspect of their business more seriously...serious enough to bring that IP back in house.

I just hope that they have the development and design chops to not only SUPPORT the apps, but IMPROVE them.

I just hope that they have the development and design chops to not only SUPPORT the apps, but IMPROVE them.

I heard they bought them so they had more control over the addition of features, etc...

Of course this could just be hearsay, but I heard it from someone fairly close to the situation.

Joking, Ryan.

It was a joke.

I'm actually happy to see that the progress ControlUI made with the apps prompted Control4 to take this aspect of their business more seriously...serious enough to bring that IP back in house.

Same talent as I understand it. The warm bodies came with the deal.

Well, then: a congrats are in order for Sean, Chuck and Jeremy then!

Nice deal. Happy to hear that there is some real commitment to furthering the mobile platform for C4.

Now, here's a recommendation on where to start: let's get some feature parity between the iPhone v2.4 and the iPad app. ; )

Joking' date=' Ryan.

It was a joke.

I just hope that they have the development and design chops to not only SUPPORT the apps, but IMPROVE them.[/quote']

Same talent as I understand it. The warm bodies came with the deal.

That's how I understand it too. However, now that they are on the Control4 payroll they march to the beat of Control4's drum, not ControlUI's.

Tweak the network and the access over 3G is already available. Knowing this PR is for licensing only, it may mean that the apps themselves are the same and no new updates may be available.

My apologies as I'm pretty much a newbie. Is that a "yes" to the 3G question? I'm not sure what "tweak the network" means.

Thanks in advance for any clarification you can offer.

3G is already possible. However, its your network that needs to allow it.

Install a VPN and from the 3G connection, establish a VPN connection and you will be able to manage your control4 via 3G.

If Control4 does anything to remove the VPN restriction, it would most likely have to be through their my.control4.com service. Which I sure hope they secure a bit better.

The VPN route is the best way to go, IMHO. DO NOT PORT FORWARD! I REPEAT... DO NOT PORT FORWARD!

3G is already possible. However, its your network that needs to allow it.

Install a VPN and from the 3G connection, establish a VPN connection and you will be able to manage your control4 via 3G.

If Control4 does anything to remove the VPN restriction, it would most likely have to be through their my.control4.com service. Which I sure hope they secure a bit better.

The VPN route is the best way to go, IMHO. DO NOT PORT FORWARD! I REPEAT... DO NOT PORT FORWARD!

Thanks for clarification....Is the VPN simply a router setting or do you have to utilize something like "Hamachi"?

3G is already possible. However' date=' its your network that needs to allow it.

The VPN route is the best way to go, IMHO. DO NOT PORT FORWARD! I REPEAT... DO NOT PORT FORWARD![/quote']

Thanks for clarification....Is the VPN simply a router setting or do you have to utilize something like "Hamachi"?

VPN technology has to be built into the router. Most lower-end home "routers" do not have that capability. For the more expensive ones that do, you'll have to enable it and also do some amount of configuration.

Once it's all set up and you connect from your remote computer using the VPN connection, your remote computer can appear to be "inside" your "home" network and you'll be able to connect to any device inside your home network just as if you were physically there. (Caveat: nothing with VPN is perfect -- you may find there are locations from which you can't connect or if you can connect, you won't be able to communicate.)

VPN does NOT have to be built into the router. There are a lot of VPN solutions that can sit behind a firewall / router. There are some software VPN servers / endpoints that can run on a computer behind your firewall as well.

Also, do not confuse VPN passthrough with VPN server capabilities. Allowing a vpn connection out of the network is different than accepting incoming VPN connections.

There are a few varieties of VPNs, PPTP, L2TP, IPSec, and others all providing different features and security. Some are supported natively on handsets and computers and other devices.

Authentication can be simple user / password to complex secureID or biometrics...

My VPN of choice right now is built into Pfsense running on a computer acting as the firewall for my network. Works great with an iPhone. There are a lot of VPN appliances that are either part of a router/firewall or stand alone solutions. Some are cheap, but most are fairly expensive for home use.

I don't think Hamachi has an iphone client out, but you "could" create a point to point vpn out of it and send wifi traffic from a laptop running hamachi connected to your home computer and essentially it would work... I wouldn't recommend this either...

VPN does NOT have to be built into the router. There are a lot of VPN solutions that can sit behind a firewall / router. There are some software VPN servers / endpoints that can run on a computer behind your firewall as well.

Also, do not confuse VPN passthrough with VPN server capabilities. Allowing a vpn connection out of the network is different than accepting incoming VPN connections.

There are a few varieties of VPNs, PPTP, L2TP, IPSec, and others all providing different features and security. Some are supported natively on handsets and computers and other devices.

Authentication can be simple user / password to complex secureID or biometrics...

My VPN of choice right now is built into Pfsense running on a computer acting as the firewall for my network. Works great with an iPhone. There are a lot of VPN appliances that are either part of a router/firewall or stand alone solutions. Some are cheap, but most are fairly expensive for home use.

I don't think Hamachi has an iphone client out, but you "could" create a point to point vpn out of it and send wifi traffic from a laptop running hamachi connected to your home computer and essentially it would work... I wouldn't recommend this either...

Thanks for the additional detail. Any idea if the C4-recommended Cisco WRVS4400N Router has the VPN functionality which allows for control from iPad/iPhone via 3G?

Also, apologies if this is a stupid question: Why doesn't C4 enable the app for 3G in the 1st place?

Why? Cause originally it was developed by an outside firm, which has now been bought and rolled into the company.

It is much easier to just communicate directly with the controller than through a proxy. Having to send all the requests to control4.com and then have it route the traffic to the controller is not ideal. This would be the only way they could enable 3G support without VPN capabilities.

Ok, not really, but without getting on a huge rant on security (or the lack thereof) with control4 communications... Basically what should happen is you open up a port on your firewall for the Control4 controller. The iphone connects securely to this port and all should be good. But, since there is NO security for sending the commands to the port, anyone, and I mean anyone not only can send commands to your controller, they can grab your complete solution or even delete everything. This is a bad thing.

I am quite disappointed in the security model control4 has right now. At least they added encrypted / SSL communications to the controller, but this isn't good enough. They need user level access and control what the user has access to.

I am quite disappointed in the security model control4 has right now. At least they added encrypted / SSL communications to the controller, but this isn't good enough. They need user level access and control what the user has access to.

This is why Control4 doesn't advocate accessing your system by port-forwarding your Director box outside the local network, and has provided 4Sight, which can securely access your system remotely.

RyanE

Archived