C4 Forums | Control4

Upgrading Matrix Switch

GarethKeenan

I'm curious if anyone had experience with this switch. The whole EDID thing makes me nervous. It is common for three different sized TV's to be displaying the same source at my house. I don't know if that wil work with this switch.

I just looked through the manual and it looks like the EDID function is disabled by default and therefore the HDCP issue doesn't show up unless you change the dip switch positions for each output.

Aside from the EDID issue, does C4 have a driver for this switch?

• 2 weeks later...

Since it appears that the HDMI matrix switch stuff can get complicated and cause video distribution to become problematic, I am now looking at staying component video.

With that said,

I currently have an 8 x 6 Video Storm Matrix switch. I'm looking to add another 6-8 inputs and need another 6 outputs. I read on here somewhere that you could daisy chain matrix switches in order to increase inputs/outputs...does anyone have experience doing this or know if it is possible to do this without degrading the video signal so much that it is no longer 1080i?

Reliability is key. My first dealer couldn't get my system to function consistently and I nearly sold my stuff off for parts. My wife was more than peeved at how bad it worked for the money we had spent. Fortunately, I found a dealer who was able to fix all the bugs in our system in a few hours and it's been awesome ever since...

Now I want to do some upgrades and am trying to figure out the best bang for the buck while keeping everything working seamlessly.

I have a video storm CMX 86 which sounds like the same switch. They had a daisy chained HDMI switch that's supposed to be integrated with the component switch, but it doesn't have a control4 driver. Perhaps you'll have better luck getting a copy of the serial driver than I did.

If I had to do it again I'd look for separate video and audio switches rather than one switch for both. I've found that I need more audio sources than video sources.

I also have an issue with the video storm switch in that there is a delay between the video switching and the audio switching. It's not a big delay, and recent switch firmware improves the problem, but I still don't like it. Video Storm was unwilling to provide me with a copy of the unencrypted serial driver so I could have my dealer look at it.

I got a lower price on the CMX86 when I purchased it versus other matrix switches on the market. Please don't misunderstand me- I'm happy with the performance of the switch- but I would be looking for that lower price point if I were going to purchase product.

Check the downloads section of their website. They post the firmware and instructions to upload it via a serial cable. We used a USB to serial adapter and it worked okay. My firmware was old enough that sometimes the audio wouldn't even switch. They also released a new driver for versions 1.8+ which you might consider using. Send them an email- in my experience they're very responsive.

Archived