C4 Forums | Control4

Select a "Watch XXX" without causing "Play" comment

bdm0509

Hi all-

When I select something like "Watch Blu-Ray" or "Watch Apple TV" in my theater, everything powers on correctly, and the source switches to the selected source component. All good.

But, in addition to that, it seems the "Play" command is going out. This creates two problems for me:

1. If it's Apple TV, whatever was last playing automatically starts playing. That's no good.

2. Regardless of source, I have "Play" wired to a macro that lowers the lights to movie-watching mode. So turning on my system (via the "Watch Blu-Ray" for example) puts my room in dark mode.

I realize that 1. is a nuisance, and I could do some hacky things to avoid 2 (for instance, pausing the length of time it takes to dim the lights and then bringing them back up) but those seem... hacky.

I really want a way to turn things on in my theater, bring lights up to an entertaining level, prepare a source--but NOT start it playing. Then, when I am comfortable with my wife, we hit play, the lights dim, and the show starts.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Brett

The DVD drivers have a play command that automatically executes. In an upcoming software update they are going to allow us to choose if we want the auto play or not per driver. One solution for the apple tv is to remove the play code and just use the enter button.

As for the lights auto dimming. I created a variable for a customer. If it was true the lights would dim immediately. If it was false it would dim after 30 secs. I then told it when the bluray was selected to start a minute timer that would change the variable to true. I also programmed that if the video source wasn't bluray to change the variable back to false. Tedious but it worked for him.

The DVD drivers have a play command that automatically executes. In an upcoming software update they are going to allow us to choose if we want the auto play or not per driver. One solution for the apple tv is to remove the play code and just use the enter button.

How would you do that? Is there a way to take fine-grained control over the "Watch->Video->Apple TV" command? In other words, where would I access the sequence being executed so I can yank out the Play code?

As for the lights auto dimming. I created a variable for a customer. If it was true the lights would dim immediately. If it was false it would dim after 30 secs. I then told it when the bluray was selected to start a minute timer to which changed the variable to false.

Is there any way to do what amounts to a "pre" command? So when the "Watch->Video->Blu-Ray" was starting--before it did anything--I could set a variable that later, my "Play" command could check to see if lights should dim or not? I basically just need a way to make sure that if things are just powering on, or switching sources, keep the lights up; otherwise, if we're on the same source, dim the lights.

I also programmed that if the video source wasn't blurry to change the variable back to false. Trdi

How did you check to see if the video source was blurry? That's a new one...

Thanks... I'm learning.

-Brett

How would you do that? Is there a way to take fine-grained control over the "Watch->Video->Apple TV" command? In other words, where would I access the sequence being executed so I can yank out the Play code?

The Play is automatic for all 'DVD'-type devices.

In the upcoming 2.1 release, there is a checkbox on those devices' property page, which you can uncheck to have it not send the play command on device selection.

It applies only to the devices you choose to uncheck the checkbox. Any that you leave checked will work how it currently works.

RyanE

• 1 month later...

There is a work around for this. The first is the quick and easiest. The second one will take some time if you have more than 2 or 3 rooms.

Delete the play command and use the select button for play.

Open Composer

Right click on the device

select edit driver

Click Codes

uncheck the box next to Play

Click Finished

Click Next

This one will allow you to use the play command but it will take some time.

Open Composer

Right click on the device

select edit driver

Click Codes

uncheck the box next to Play

Click add

Type "Play 2"

Click next

Scroll down and click play

Click the edit button

Copy this code

Delete the code

Click Play 2

Click the edit button

Paste the code from play

Click Finished

Click Next

Click the programming tab

Click the room name on the left

Click command dropdown

Select Play command

On the right select Room Variables under the same room.

Click CURRENT_SELECTED_DEVICE

Click Conditionals tab

Click the dropdown and select the device activity

Add that to the script

Click the device that is having the play command issue

Click Emit Code

Click the dropdown

Click Play 2 command

Add that to the script inside the conditional statement (drag and drop while mouse is directly over the Question mark)

That room is done so repeat steps 19 thru 31 for all the other rooms with that device in them.

I thought the topic is how to watch X-rated movie without play.

I'm actually still a little confused

Pre 2.1 any dvd drivers or drivers created with the dvd setup (apple tv for example) will automatically send a play command after it is chosen as a source. It most cases this is fine and helpful, in others it can be a nuisance. In 2.1 for dvd drivers you will be able to specify which ones you don't want to send an auto play command after it's chosen as a source.

Archived