C4 Forums | Control4

Integrator needed in Utah

estromb

I'm wanting to do home automation in my new home that I'm building and Control4 seems like the system I want. Here the issue I'm an able to do all of the wiring myself and infact I want to do it myself not just to save cost but to make sure all low voltage is done how I want, however I havent been able to find a dealer that will help me without paying them a design fee of some kind. Is there a dealer out there that will help make sure I get everything ran to the right location?

One last questions for anyone that can answer. Is there a program that I can after Control4 is installed to I can create and edit lighting scenes and other feature? I have been told yes by some dealers and no by others. The looking around I've done on this forum suggests yes that there is a composer program that would do it, but I want to find out. Are the guys that say no just looking for more money because they can charge for any change I want to make.

On your second question, Composer HE (home edition) will allow you to make and change as many light scenes as you want. It is 149.00 for a lifetime license.

On your first question, exactly how many hours do you want this dealer to spend on your plans and coaching you on what you need for free? Most dealers seem to think their experience and knowlege is something they have earned and they want to charge for their advice. That being said there are some very smart end users on this forum and they maybe able to review your design and help you out, you might want to start here.

Brent

I would suggest that you do a combination of both. Paying for a KNOWLEDGEABLE dealer can make all the difference. (I find this is the challege.) This expertise could potentially save you a lot of time if not money.

This forum have a lot of good information and people that are willing to help but certainly not a replacement for a GOOD dealer to help you design your system.

Good Luck and Welcome to the World of C4

It's not that I want the work for free just hoping there was a dealer out there that could help me understand what wires need to be ran so I can get that done before the drywall goes up. It is hard to justify the thousands of dollars I have been quoted to just be told to run x number of Cat5 or 6 to a room. I'm not asking for any integration ot programming of the equipment just hoping to make sure I dont forget a cable somewhere that would have made things better.

It's not that I want the work for free just hoping there was a dealer out there that could help me understand what wires need to be ran so I can get that done before the drywall goes up. It is hard to justify the thousands of dollars I have been quoted to just be told to run x number of Cat5 or 6 to a room. I'm not asking for any integration ot programming of the equipment just hoping to make sure I dont forget a cable somewhere that would have made things better.

Here's my 3 cents. I had a similar issue when my builder would not let my dealer do the wiring. Have to pay the builder's low voltage guy to run all the wires.

Not knowing what your plans are, anything that anybody would advise you (without proper consultation) might either be overkill or not enough. But what I know for sure is that your design will change between now and when you are actually living in this house. Keep that in mind.

Nonetheless,

4 to 6 runs of Cat5e or Cat6 possible rg6 per tv location homerun these to where you think you are going to have your video distributon matrix.

Run speaker cables to where you might possible want audio distribution even if you do not think you have enough zones for it. In large rooms consider having 4 or more speakers.(e.i. 7.1 config)

Power and cat5 to possible motorized drapes locations

2 cat6 per touchpanel locations. Consider having touchpanels above an outlet plug or near a switch for powerstealing

Which reminds me, Tstats, not sure about this but I believe it best to have 5 wires as oppose to 4wires. Somebody can clarify this.

Motion detectors will need at least a quad homerun to your security panel

IP Camera's will need 2 cat5e. If going analog. needs RG59 and power per location homerun again to either your switch location or DVR

Depending where you are situating your controllers account for at least a cat5e run for IR control

Ipod docks will also need audio baluns depending how far they are from the amp.

I would also run 2 or 3 cat6 for each PC location for networking as well as audio distribution.

Electricals: Make sure you have enough outlets to where you are plugging most of your equipment. When I did this I added four direct power outlets in that area alone and a whole house surge protector.

Most new houses' light switches are wired properly for control4 but you might want to investigate to be sure.

Keypads: for interface or volume control would need to have access or near a light switch to steal power

Fireplace switches will need a cat5 and power (I don't have one going by memory)

Run wires for Garage sensors and possible water sensor locations

Wires are cheap.

A properly designed system will save you some headaches. I'll be happy to help but...

...you will get what you paid for.

Archived