C4 Forums | Control4

Recommend a nice combo of Fixed and PTZ Cameras along with a DVR

psalinas

• 2 months later...

I used a DVR with 6 camera's by creating a generic AV switch and associated each zone to the different cameras. You can program C4 with the IR for the DVR and the program the switch to change between the different cameras. I used a modulator so I could see/control the cameras from any TV in the house.

I've been successful using Panasonic PT IP cameras, they also have fixed and PTZ. They integrate out-of-the-box with C4, and I use XProtect Essential from http://www.milestonesys.com as the recording software. Yes, they are a bit more expensive, but you likely won't be happy with cheap cameras. I've included two pictures below. One is a Linksys, other is Panasonic. Note that both have the same resolution, but the quality difference is quite apparent. There's a *huge* difference in low-light level performance as well.

As IP cameras, I can also snapshop and archive from the cameras - I take a picture each minute, and archive for a year. It's about 22 GB per year, per camera.

So, if we come back from vacation and see a problem, we can go back to our video and pictures and see what happened.

Archived